Skip navigation
omarjanak
Currently Being Moderated

How to move an object that is in many layers in to its own layer?

May 2, 2013 10:17 AM

Tags: #cs5 #indesign #os10.8.2

Hello,

I created a catalog where I have used layers but at that time didn't know that I will be creating another catalog of the same products for our wholesalers.  Anyway, now I have an object (QR Code) that is in many layers and I need to move it to its own layer where I can turn it on or off as needed. I have already created the layer but now I am not sure the quickest way to move the (QR code). I really need to learn how to use GREP in find and change, I sure it is possible with GREP but don't know the string to use.

I would appreciate any kind of help I can get.

Thanks,

Omar

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2013 11:04 AM   in reply to omarjanak

GREP is great for changing text, but it can't move objects from layer to layer. to do it manually, I'd use the "go to link" button in the links panel to pick up each instance, then open the Layers panel and drag the little selection indicator on the right of the layer name where the image is currently into the new layer where you want it.  You could also ask over in scripting if you have hundreds of these to do. I'm sure it can be automated via script.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 12:34 PM   in reply to omarjanak

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 12:35 PM   in reply to omarjanak

Am I crazy, or is there a "Paste Remembers Layers" checkbox hidden somewhere in the preferences? Because when I have a bunch of objects that are all on separate layers, I simply Copy, Delete, and Paste in Place - and then they're all on one layer.

I'm not crazy! It's in the options on the Layers panel. And it seems to be off by default.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

That works, too, but you have to take the time to cut, change layers, and paste, instead of just dragging the selection thumb into a new layer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to omarjanak

Scripting can only do so much. How can a script recognize a QR code? Which, I assume, is just another image. Are all your images QR codes? In that case it is scriptable. If not, then you'd need to tell how this hypothetical script can discern one image from another.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points