Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

FEATURE REQUEST: After Effects style Placeholders and Proxies

May 2, 2013 9:29 AM

Tags: #placeholders #request #feature #proxies

If you feel the needs in efficient proxy workflow, welcome to the club and don't hesitate to submit feature request.

Here is the adjusted to less than 2000 symbols feature request text:

***After Effects style Placeholders and Proxies***

It would be nice if PrPro offered AE style Placeholders and Proxies workflow. There are cases, where they are extremely useful, e.g.:

1. Huge modern formats and resource hungry codecs. Not all machines can easily handle 2k or 4k footages, some can't get real time playback even with AVCHD. Not to mention that CinemaDNG importer was discontinued partly because of inability to get real time playback in PrPro. The issue can be resolved via rendering previews, but that's not always the most efficient workflow.

2. In multicam editing issues mentioned above increase dramatically. Rendering preview for every camera angle is simply impossible. Although PrPro offers offline clips workflow, an editor can't easily see if the clip is currently linked to a source footage or a proxy, and switching between sources and proxies involves several steps every time one needs to switch: selecting assets, making them offline, right-clicking again to link to other media, locating files on a disk; while in After Effects it's just one click once a proxy is set.

3. Adobe Dynamic Link. PrPro communicates with AE projects via single instance of headless AE, which creates a bottleneck and entails the need to render DI for complex comps. Although AE allows to set DIs as proxies and, hence, enjoy the best of both worlds, instantly switching between DI and dynamically linked comp and no needs to replace anything in PrPro timeline, with hundreds of dynamically linked comps PrPro timeline becomes unresponsive and takes forever to render (for my rig test 30 min sequence built out of 935 dynamically linked comps, which are just source footages in their own comps, hence, the equivalent to rendered DIs set to proxies, takes around 27 hours to render, while 30 min sequence built out of the same 935 source footages renders in real time). Meanwhile, PrPro doesn't currently allow to link offline dynamically linked comps to rendered DIs.

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

Nice one Fuzz... I'm in +1.

Filed.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2013 11:07 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

+1. Great suggestion.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 8:07 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

+1

Copied yours and submitted it.

You know, it would be a lot easier if Adobe made it possible to see the submitted requests that they thought were even remotely possible and gave us a chance to +1 them.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

Right. How to assign the weight could get interesting.

Who the requests come from should count for something. Long time users of the forum, and people whose record with Adobe goes back at least two versions should automatically get some priority, however, there are newer users who should be able to present their credentials and get assigned a higher priority. Specifically all of those FCP users. Maybe if they showed a picture of themselves with a copy of something older than FCP 7?

Edit: Maybe Adobe could publish the top 100 and we would get 10 votes, where a 1 got 10 points and a 10 got one point?

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

I was just thinking that Chris should be able to present his credentials, well, not him (or Trish) of course, but others like him who are not as well known.

(I attended one of their classes in person once and I even won a T-Shirt for answering a question about what he had said. Lots of people won, but I won the first one and was immensely proud of myself all day. Those people are amazing.)

Serious FCP experts should be able to show their work and get extra weight. They may be new to the party but they add a lot of value.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 10:07 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

The real world will out-balance any weighting system: Adobe teams will still decide which FR's will get onto the "let's work on this" list. And it is a dynamic list, since it is in part based on an assessment of resources required to implement and an assessment of appeal.

The public list of FR's could be weighted, but no matter how it is weighted, it is always possible that at any given point in time, Adobe would have rejected the number one item on that list. Within the Adobe forums, you could do a simple weighting by listing by "votes," with the number of votes by MVP's identified.

The list I want to see is a public list of identified bugs and status.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

As the person who maintains the feature request database for After Effects, I can confirm that the number of times an item has been requested is a major factor when we consider what to work on next. So are other factors, such as how hard the feature is to implement and maintain, how much testing is involved (often the larger concern than programming time), whether the request conflicts with something else that we are already working on, and so on. It is true that we consider not just raw numbers of requests but the details of who is making the requests---e.g., whether the requests are coming from animators or compositors, beginners or experts.

I can only speak for the After Effects team, but the Premiere Pro team works much the same way (which is unsurprising, since we are in the same group and have overlapping team members).

We also try to give some visibility into the most requested items with posts like this:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2012/12/top-feature-requests-for-a fter-effects-in-2012.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 7:18 PM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

CinemaDNG importer was discontinued partly because of inability to get real time playback in PrPro.

That's disheartening, especially considering the news about the BlackMagic Pocket Cam.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

+10

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)