Skip navigation
Robbarooney
Currently Being Moderated

Removing empty space from a screen shot

May 2, 2013 12:15 PM

Tags: #cs6

I am using Photoshop CS6 to prepare images for use in online Help and a print / pdf user guide for the company's newest software / Web app.  What do you do to remove blank space from a screen capture? I am specifically curious if you add some type of indicator that tells the user that the actual image will be larger.  Here are three screen shots that better illustrate what I am wondering about.  Thanks.

The first screen shot (left to right) is a typical screen shot that I've not edited.  In the second one, I've cut the bottom button bar and moved it up to reduce the white space in the image.  In the third image, I added a quick and dirty little "wave" to tell everyone that I've cut out some of the white space. What do you do and what type of indicator do you add, if you treat your Help images like the third one, here.

typical_screenshot_1.jpgtypical_screenshot_edit_1.jpgtypical_screenshot_edit_2.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2013 3:32 PM   in reply to Robbarooney

I'd be inclined to add three vertically aligned dots, sort of a vertical ellipsis.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to Robbarooney

While I fully understand your objective, I'd just like to offer that there are some limited minds, like this old geezer's, that don't always immediately recognize a dialog box when it's been shortened this way or otherwise not presented in its full proportions and aspect ratio.  Just my ¢2.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points