Skip navigation
jcjessup
Currently Being Moderated

Can you copy and paste an effect such as Drop Shadow?

May 2, 2013 11:33 AM

Tags: #illustrator #cs5 #paste #effect

I'm working in Illustrator CS5 and I want to know if it is possible to copy and paste an effect like a drop shadow.  For example, let's say I create a document with some text which has a drop shadow on it and some without the effect.  Next I create text in a different font with a different drop shadow effect (different settings for the drop shadow attributes).  Later in the project I decide, I want to go back and add the first effect to several objects and/or text in my image.  Is there a way to copy that effect and paste it in?

I know that I can go in and manually copy the settings of the effect I want to copy, add the effect to a new object, and then re-apply the effect from that point, but is there a way to simplify the process by just copying the effect?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2013 11:56 AM   in reply to jcjessup

Dragging objects to the Graphic Styles Panel will allow quick access to the effect settings.

So in your example after setting the first text, drag it to the Graphic Styles Panel. Then later if you want to apply that same drop shadow to anything, simply select the object and click the Graphic Style.

The Eyedropper Tool is designed to copy effects from a clicked object to the selected object, but recently it hasn't been very reliable.

There is no direct way to copy effects between objects other than the two methods above.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to [scott w]

Double click on the eyedropper tool and check appearance for both boxes (the default is off if my memory is correct)

Screen Shot 2013-05-02 at 2.46.23 PM.png

The eyedropper becomes unreliable when you have appearance set at different levels for the target and destination(eg: layer, path, group, type).

As Scott mentioned creating a graphic style works, or drag the little icon in the appearance pallete when it looks correct.

Screen Shot 2013-05-02 at 2.49.54 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 4:19 PM   in reply to [scott w]

Scott, in the layers panel in CS5, I can option-drag an object's appearance bullseye to another object's appearance bullseye to apply the first object's effect to the second object. That would qualify as one more "direct way to copy effects," no?

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 12:05 AM   in reply to Doug Katz

Yup, that would. I had forgotten about that method, but it is another option.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to jcjessup

Sure make the fix manully to an object, then just option drag the icon the new style on top of the old to update, using the variety of methods discussed.

Screen Shot 2013-05-03 at 10.24.27 AM.png

After option drag form appearance to graphic styles

Screen Shot 2013-05-03 at 10.24.35 AM.png

There is also an graphic style palette flyout >> overide character color

Screen Shot 2013-05-03 at 10.26.58 AM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers