I am trying to check my unstructured Frame 11 book for unresolved Xrefs. My Book Error Report (generated when I update the book) displays about 35.
When I click on a link in the Error Report, there is no indication there is any cross-reference attached to the link. When I open the Cross Ref pod and display unresolved xrefs for the current document, none show up. When I check all docs in the book, I see no problems, either.
I have tried creating a LOR (list of references) to get further information. All I get is a page that says "Draft 29".
[email address removed by host]
Have you searched for unresolveds only in the Body pages?
If so, set:
View > Master Pages
and search again, and then
View > Reference Pages
and search again.
If still not found, more exotic scenarios arise, like Conditional Text presently set to No Show, Xrefs from imported Text Insets, or perhaps text hidden out of frame or run-out-of-sight disconnected pages.
Close all FM docs and check to see if there are any .lck files left behind - I have found that sometimes there is leftover cruft still left after closing my docs and they will throw fake xref errors.
If there are any silent errors like missing fonts, then FM can't open the files so the update is incomplete and any x-refs to those files are tagged as unresolved. Try opening all of your files in the book first (use the Shift + File > Open shortcut to do this one go). Then update your book. You should then resolve any errors that FM reports when you opened the files in the book. Note: in FM11 you might have turned off the notifications for some of these errors when opening the files.
> If there are any silent errors like missing fonts, then FM can't open the files ...
File from older FM version is another of those. Ran into that last week with outside translators.The fix, as you point out, is to open everything.
I've also seen really degenerate cases resulting from crash debris. Had nearly the entire Flow A get copied into the sized-for-single-character text frame of a callout bubble, all of it flowed out of sight. Find URXR would go to the page, but I couldn't see where the sprite went. In such cases, setting zoom to max (1600%) can be quite helpful.
> Find URXR would go to the page, but I couldn't see where the sprite went. In such cases, setting zoom to max (1600%) can be quite helpful.
Had another one today, on Master Pages, but even 1600% zoom, all Conditions on, all colors visible, didn't reveal where FM thought the reference was.
In this case, it was clearly a reference to a prior manual that had been used as a template, so whatever it was wasn't needed.
One way to really find out would be, on each Find Next, hit the left arrow key and insert some unique text "xyzzy". Save as MIF. Search for that unique text.
Or you can just take advantage of the fact that each entire Unresolved Xref is selected in such searches. Just hit delete.Find-Next:Delete until all are gone, which is what I did.