Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Which PDF Preset to use when you need PS files to keep their settings?

May 2, 2013 4:31 PM

Tags: #pdf #pdf/x-4:2008 #pdf/x-4:2010

When exporing to PDF out of ID CS6, which PDF preset should I pick when I need my Photoshop files to keep their setting and corrections when it goes to print? I thought it was something like "PDF/X-4:2008" or "PDF/X4:2010". Is there a difference?

Thanks,

Russ

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2013 6:38 PM   in reply to iRuss

You probably need to check with your printer which PDF preset they prefer. If they have an old PostScript RIP, they'll probably prefer PDF/X-1a. Unfortunately, this flattens transparency and converts RGB images to CMYK using a default CMYK profile.

You should look for a printer who has a new Adobe PDF Print Engine RIP. These RIPs can handle PDF files instead of PostScript. A printer using this workflow would probably prefer PDF/X-4 which keeps RGB images with profiles and transparency live until their RIP processes it.

Choose the PDF/X-4:2008 profile which supports the PDF/X-4:2010 standard.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 4:06 AM   in reply to iRuss

If you have a problem with the proof (and I don't think you will), you can now export to a grayscale profile from CS6. Choose Convert to Profile in the export dialog and pick the same grayscale profile you used for the images.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 4:38 AM   in reply to iRuss

Go to the Output screen in the export dialog. In the dropdown choose Convert to Profile, then in the destination profile choose your grayscale.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 4:48 AM   in reply to iRuss

That's it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 4:58 AM   in reply to iRuss

Yes, BUT, only do this if you have a problem, AND make sure before exporting that your "Appearance of Black" settings in the application Preferences are set to Output all Blacks as Rich Black, or your type will be screened to something around 93%.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 6:49 AM   in reply to iRuss

Starting from PDF/X-4 is fine. You just don't want to downsample below 300 ppi or use heavy compression on the images. X-4 is designed for press output, so will be more than adequate as far as image quality is concerned for a digital print on demand output.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 6:54 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

The only real difference between starting with High Quality Print and X-4 is that HQP doesn't embed the output intent (as far as I know) and is comaptible with Acrobat 5 and later, rather than 7 and later, which may or may not be an issue with older equipment (5 being more universal).

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 7:26 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Actually PDF/X-4 also follows an industry standard so it strips out all multimedia stuff. It also sets page boxes and other things that may be needed in a printing situation.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 8:05 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

HQP also sets the boxes (and just like X-4 you would need to set the bleed on in the marks and bleeds options), and it does not include any interactivity or multimedia. It may not be certified as meeting the standard, but other than as noted the settings are essentially identical.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points