Skip navigation
Mer1011
Currently Being Moderated

How do I pass parameters into local html files using InDesign?

May 2, 2013 4:40 PM

Tags: #files #html #local #environment #info #passing #parameters

How do I pass parameters into local html files using InDesign, OR how do I pass environment info like the picture the html is sitting on top of into local html files in InDesign?  I'm trying to use some html-javascript code and just pass in parms to behave differently depending on where the code is placed in the InDesign folios.  I dont know how to do it.  If I could read in some InDesign environment info from the folio using html or javascript that might work as well.  Please advise, thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2013 6:42 PM   in reply to Mer1011

You're not being clear about your workflow. Are you expecting to use InDesign and choose File > Export > HTML? Or are you using an Adobe Digital Publishing workflow? I'd suspect the latter because you use the phrase "where the code is placed in the InDesign folios".

If the latter, you should ask your questions in the Adobe Digital Publishing Suite forum:

Digital Publishing Suite

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 12:13 PM   in reply to Mer1011

I've moved your question into the DPS forum.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 5:27 AM   in reply to Mer1011

In indesign you can draw a box and link the html to display in that box, if you do it that way you won't leave to the in app browser.  In the folio overlays panel, its called web overlays.

I suggest you download Bob's Bringhursts ipad app called DPS Tips, it will give you a quick overview of all the different overlays and basic possibilites.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/digital-publishing-suite-tips/id436199 090?mt=8

Joe

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to Mer1011

What if you build the whole page in html?  and just wrap it in DPS?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2014 9:45 AM   in reply to Mer1011

Hi Mer1011, sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I'm just wondering if you ever found a way to pass parameters into your local HTML files?

I have a Web Content Overlay which is opened when the user clicks on a button within the article. This all works fine with static HTML files, but I'm now trying to add "context" to the HTML file. I was hoping to achieve this via parameters, e.g.:

file:////Users/bryan/index.html?param1=test (NB: calling this via Safari and Firefox works)

Unfortunately, when I create the folio using Folio Builder, the parameters are stripped off resulting in:

/Users/bryan/index.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 8:00 AM   in reply to bryanosullivan

I can confirm that - in our last issue, I created an html file that was meant to take parameters. I found the parameters would be ignored by the in-app browser.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2014 9:19 AM   in reply to mark.chase

Thanks Mark, sounds like I'll need to investigate a different approach

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers