Skip navigation
Wither-Bones
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator Snap To Grid Playing Mind Games

May 2, 2013 11:39 PM

Tags: #pen #grid_preferences #vector_object

I'm using the pen tool the make a basic box. I want this box to be accurate, so I've set up my grid to be every 20px, and am trying to snap the box into form.

Now, you have your actual vector line, and then it's border. When I go to make a straight line, one point will be set on the grid, and the other will be set to just under the grid so that the OUTLINE instead of the VECTOR, is aligned with the grid. Like so:

Untitled.png

Now, no big deal, the left one is off, so I'll just adjust it. Maybe it's just a cool feature in case someone needed it to do that specifically. So I fix it, and go back over to my right one, the one that was correct initially and notice that it's aligned on it's border, and NOT it's vector. This makes me suspicious, so I fix it, and check the left one again. Guess what? Aligned wrong again.

I zoomed out to make sure I was using the tool correctly and moving the specific point and NOT the whole shape itself (which wouldn't made geometric sense anyway, but whatever, sometimes thigns happen) and I found I am indeed just moving the one point.

Okay, so I fix the left one again.

And check the right corner. Guess what? Misaligned again.

I've seriously gone back and forth with this torture device trying to do the basic technique of making a bloody square and for some reason it's constantly switching my vectors from aligned to just ever so slightly unaligned and at this point I'm furious. Please someone tell me you know what this is and how to fix it.

Honeslty, I'd just being doing this in photoshop, as I'm better using PS anyway, but for some reason the snap to grid feature on that doesn't work PERIOD. I've been nothing but happy with the previous installments of both of these products, but CS6 is too little a step up for me to really not be vastly upset by the fact that so many feature which were previously very stable and smooth to just not work. Half a step forward, ten steps back dude, smh. Can anyone tell me why either of these issues might be occuring?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2013 2:09 AM   in reply to Wither-Bones

With the object selected, is Align to Pixel Grid checked on the Transform Panel?

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 2:42 AM   in reply to [scott w]

there should be a penny jar in here for every mention of Align to Pixel Grid

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 2:51 AM   in reply to dougofakkad

We would all be rich!

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 3:10 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

I am afraid we should all be poor, Monika; except for the collector.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 3:18 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

well i thought Adobe might volunteer to fill it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to dougofakkad

Ah, I see, Doug.

In that case we may  keep posting.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Align to Pixel Grid

Align to Pixel Grid

(my two cents)

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 5:43 AM   in reply to Wither-Bones

Can you send a example file, for al of us it is working fine and I also think you have Align To Pixel grid selected on that element.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 11:23 PM   in reply to Wither-Bones

You check it with the element selected go to the Transoform menu, there you have a check box for Align to Pixelgrid

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points