Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you market your database backup services?

May 3, 2013 7:35 AM

All database-driven sites need to be backed up at least weekly if not daily. How do you market this service to your customers? I personally prefer to back up daily because if the client screws up something they will naturally expect it to be easily fixed.

Do you include this as an option in the hosting plan? How do you price it? As an ongoing subscription or a single payment? Personally I don't want to go through the trouble of scheduling cron jobs or configuring a backup extension without getting paid for it...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2013 7:51 AM   in reply to Paevo Kelley

I tell them they need to back it up regularly through the Control Panel. I doubt anyone wants to pay me for something that most probably they will never need. It's hard to justify that kind of a service as its 'hidden'......clients only seem to care about the visual aspect, they think the rest somehow just drops freely out of the sky and no need to  pay for it.

Seriously though, I don't offer that service as I don't really want that responsibility for what really is small change. But you can impress upon them that you will back up their site/database for say £500 pound a year as an inclusive service.

Os

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to Paevo Kelley

What, you're prepared to back up a sites database on a daily basis for $100 dollars a year? Is it worth it. I agree though a database should be backed up regularly but I don't know whose responsibility that should be. If the client is prepared to pay an agreed fee for it then I guess it's ok but surely more than $100 a year. I would set the fee high to deter them from making me responsible. Just give them access to the control panel and then it becomes their worry and not yours.

Good hosts will be making daily back-ups anyway so one would hope that if one of their servers fails the information is backed up on another server preferably in another building in case of fire damage.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points