Skip navigation
BugMcVagh
Currently Being Moderated

Unwanted distortion with envelope

May 3, 2013 9:39 AM

Tags: #help #bug #path #objects #envelope #distort

LogoWip.jpg

Hello everyone!
I have a problem with the envelope distort function. The left part of the image shows what I want to distort with what shape, the right one is a close up for what it does in the mid corner (straight lines no longer straight... at least the horizontal ones...). Any ideas how to fix this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2013 10:04 AM   in reply to BugMcVagh

Looks like you are using make with top object if I am correct.

You can use the convert anchor point tool to suck in the bezier handles on the hexagon, that may make it better or worse. Also try object >> flatten tranparency (slide to vector), edit bad points and put a mask on top.

Good question, have never found a perfect solution for this, so interersted in what others have to say.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to BugMcVagh

A limitation in all fitting algorithms - minor differences in segment lengths or simple quantization errors accumulate and then the algorithm needs to do weird things to squeeze one shape into another. In your case I wouldn't bother with this at all, anyway. Seems easy enough to manually split your artwork and turn it into a cube...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 6:31 PM   in reply to BugMcVagh

A limitation in all fitting algorithms...

Actually, it's more a limitation of Illustrator's belated implementation of Envelopes. Illustrator does not allow you the option of creating an Envelope with its curve handles initially retracted; it insists on always auto-extending them. This "too smart by half" (as Aunt Molly would say) treatment of the feature in Illustrator severely limits its utility.

Example: Canvas

I've been trying to make that point here ever since Envelopes finally appeared in Illustrator.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 10:00 PM   in reply to BugMcVagh

Screen Shot 2013-05-04 at 12.57.47 AM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status