Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What should I be looking for in a Mac folder of "InDesign" files?

May 3, 2013 11:07 AM

I have taken on a new job.  My boss wants me to put my ID experience to use making small changes in our literature.

The problem is, the source files have come from the former designers, and they're being singularly unhelpful about what software, etc. the files are in.  They ship them to us with no comment and then aren't available for emails, etc.

What I need to know (because I haven't used Mac ID for about five years) is what should the files "look like"? I have ID CS6 (Creative Cloud version). I've unpacked the files they sent us; I see a font folder and a picture folder and a .__MACOSX directory and an "unnamed folder" holding what are ostensibly the files -- ._Filename and ._FilenameReport.  They won't open directly in ID -- it tells me they're the wrong format.

I have high-res PDFs and I'm about ready to place them (they're 2 pagers, so this isn't really a big deal -- it's just annoying), place the photos I have and recreate the sales sheet by fair means or foul.  Before I do that, though, I'd rather just edit the original document.

Thanks, any help appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to Janet_des_Habs

I'm not a Mac user, but maybe if you are able to see the file extension you can tell what type of file is?

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 11:20 AM   in reply to Janet_des_Habs

Janet_des_Habs wrote:

I see a font folder and a picture folder and a .__MACOSX directory and an "unnamed folder" holding what are ostensibly the files -- ._Filename and ._FilenameReport.  They won't open directly in ID -- it tells me they're the wrong format.

Files with a ._ at the beginning of the name are probably the Mac resource fork for older files, and no, they won't open. Look for files that don't have those characters at the start of the file name.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to Janet_des_Habs

I've unpacked the files they sent us; I see a font folder and a picture folder and a .__MACOSX directory and an "unnamed folder" holding what are ostensibly the files -- ._Filename and ._FilenameReport.  They won't open directly in ID -- it tells me they're the wrong format.

When you're using a Windows machine to open archives made on the Mac, it's not hard to accidentally break stuff. Don't worry, if you kept the archives, all you have to is try opening 'em with some other un-archiving application to see if you get different results. I'd suggest 7-Zip; it's free, and it's not yet failed me in unpacking ancient or unusual types of compressed files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 12:05 PM   in reply to Janet_des_Habs

Look for anything ending in .indd - all the other stuff starting in periods etc is Mac OS X stuff which suggestions something got lost in the unpacking process. Are there any files included that don't begin with periods?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points