Skip navigation
AM-YO
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign CS6: How do I set Character Color to Unspecified/Undefined in the Paragraph Style Options?

May 3, 2013 3:59 PM

Tags: #font #color #text #type #cs6 #paragraph_styles #attributes #undefined #unspecified #character_color

Is there a way to create a Paragraph Style that leaves the Character Color unspecified?  I have a bunch of existing text frames containing characters of various colors. When I apply the Paragraph Style, the text is changed to black. I want the text color to remain unchanged; that is, I want the Paragraph Style's Character Color attribute undefined.  How do I do this?

All of the text frames in this case have their Character Style set to [None]. The text colors were applied individually, not via the use of Character Styles.

InDesign-CS6-Paragraph-Style-Character-Color.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2013 4:08 PM   in reply to AM-YO

Yeah that's a tricky one

On the Mac it's "Command+click the swatch" to deselect it; I see you are on Windows, so it's probably "Ctrl+click".

Scratch the above, that's only good for Character Styles.

There is no way to do that in a Paragraph Style. Paragraph Styles must define everything.

Message was edited by: [Jongware]

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,122 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to AM-YO

I have a bunch of existing text frames containing characters of various colors. When I apply the Paragraph Style, the text is changed to black. I want the text color to remain unchanged

If you apply the color to the characters via Character styles then the colors will be unchanged when the Paragraph style is applied. Like this:

Screen shot 2013-05-04 at 12.48.15 PM.png

Screen shot 2013-05-04 at 12.48.38 PM.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points