Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Feedback during action

May 4, 2013 2:32 AM

I recorded an action in CS5 where I manually moved a cursor box around an image and, using some plug-ins, recorded some values from each location. In order to provide feedback, before leaving each location I did a fill of the cursor box. When I run the action, however, even though it takes several seconds all the fills are shown at once at the end. So that defeats the purpose of doing the fills.

As a test, I created a stripped down action that omitted the plug-in measurements and just did the fills. Same result.

What I have tried:

o putting a step (such as switching foreground and background colors) after each fill step - same result.

o running the action in other than optimized mode (I forget the exact language and am not in front of that computer now) - this has the desired result as far as seeing each fill separately, but unfortunately this slows things down too much as each of the other steps in the measurement are also done slowly.

So is there any way to have it show each fill separately instead of all at once at the end?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2013 3:27 AM   in reply to pixel_a_ted

Turn on step-by-step execution in teh action palette's options instead of the default optimized mode.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 4, 2013 6:20 AM   in reply to pixel_a_ted

When I write an interactive script I would have the same problem however with scripting there is a solution.  Photshop seem to run steps and work on updating the screen concurrently therefor the display contents seems to lag well behind Action and Scripts steps.  This may well reduce overall execution time but its not always desirable.  In action you can slow thing down by changing Action Pallets Setting but who want slow execution all the time, Action can have interactive steps turning on a steps dialog the user screen will most likely catch up any interactive step. Perhaps using a script with the scripting solution to make sure Photoshop refreshed the display before moving onto the next action step will also work. Don't panic when you hear the words Photoshop Script. Some simple things like this is not hard at all.  Open notepad add a line:

app.refresh()

Next Save this as Refresh.jsx in Photoshop Presets\Scripts\ folder the next time you start Photoshop it will be ready for you to use in actions.  When you want the Photoshop Display to be up to date in an action record menu File>Scripts>Refresh

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 4, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to pixel_a_ted

I did you record it in an action by using Photoshop menu File>Scripts>Refresh it will record a step script refresh

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points