Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop Elements 11 interface

May 4, 2013 8:32 AM

Tags: #photoshop #elements #11 #interface #ui

First off I would like to say I'm new here! and finding this forum very hard to use? cannot even paste text why?

anyway here is my question/ observation

I have just downloaded the new version of Photoshop Elements 11  (I've been useing sinnce version 6)

I cannot begin to discribe how dissapointed I was to see the UI, to me it looks and feels like a peice of software from about ten years ago with the large icons everywhere, or at the very least a very cheap copy of Photoshop elements.

I uninstalled it after about a hour, I didnt like it at all! so as far as Elements goes i will be sticking to Elements 9, I will be going back to Paintshop Photo pro from Corel if this is the best effort Adobe has to offer!

I realy cannot understand why Adobe has employed a 10 year old to design the look of the UI

Is there a setting to change the UI to a adult theme like before???

Or is this the new theme for the full blown Photoshop as well if so they will have a lot of very unhappy people!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to pete at home

You can get more control over panels/palettes if you go to the lower right of the main window and click the tiny arrow on the right of the More button and choose Custom Workspace, but otherwise, it is what it is. I'm not sure what you mean by "adult"--black? If so, there were at least as many people who complained about the dark interface being too hard to see, so I suppose it's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to pete at home

Hmm, no the Guided tab should have a long list of projects, including things like "perfect portrait" and a number of special effects like the Orton effect and tilt-shift:

Screen Shot 2013-05-04 at 4.35.35 PM.png

Create should include the usual things it did in previous versions: photobook, collage, cd/dvd labels and inserts, calendar, etc.

If you aren't so put off by the overall look that you don't want to use PSE 11, I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling as a first step.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 2:15 PM   in reply to pete at home

I would have to agree with "pete at home"; I find the lighter UI annoying. (That and the ridiculous idea that you can't even move the toolbox anymore like you can the other panels let alone switch it to single-column, plus one of my favorite 3rd-party plugins (KPT-X Equalizer) doesn't even work in PSE 11 like it does in PSE 9.) At least give users the option to switch the UI's colors.

A requested feature I had asked for since version 9 still has gone MIA. (Kerning/spacing of text without having to use a custom script.)

I really like the improved refine edge feature but it's like taking one step forward and two steps back for me.  : /

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 2:59 PM   in reply to pete at home

The new 11 GUI is awful.  I didn't think anything could be worse than Elements 6, but here it is.  It does look like a child's photo editor - grossly oversized buttons that can be operated with clumsy hands.

1) Put sharpening filters back in the filters menu.

2) Get the side panels out of the way!  I have 1920x1200 and it's like editing photos through a slit in a blast shield.

3) I have to quit and relaunch constantly.  The Move Tool randomly stops working.  Page Setup disables printing.

4) Slow.  It's like running Gimp in a Linux VM, but less elegant.

5) Some zoom levels produce blocky patterns.  It's the same bug that Flash has when scaling photos.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 1:08 PM   in reply to kmcmurtrie

I have to agree witht the previous post. I have been using photoshop elements and premiere element to do semi pro work from version 1 thru 10.

This interface looks like it was drawn by a child and why would you move all the menues around that you have had since version 1 and similar to Photoshop?

I have remove this from my system and will be dumping it for rev10 . By the way don't scroll too fast in the organizer or it will fail every time and say it stopped working.

Just my 2 cents. From a dedicated Adobe user.

You are going in the direction of the failing windows 8. Did you know they sold more Vista operating systems than windows 8 (per the internet reports) and that was a debocle. :-)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points