Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

The timeline stops unexpectedly in both Premiere Pro CS5 and Encore even after rendering.

May 4, 2013 7:39 AM

I have 16 GB of RAM and a Z77X-UP4TH Gigabyte motherboard.  Once I received a message that my RAM was almost all used up.  How is that possible for a 7 minute video.  I tried deleting photoshop pictures from Photoshop that I use in the video and the history of undo's in Premiere Pro.  This has occurred on separate Premiere Pro projects usually about 3/4 through the timeline.  It usually only does it once and always at the same place.  I even tried replacing with different video but it still stops.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to ducky 9

What is the pixel dimensions of your photos?

Did you go to Task Manager to see what is using the memory?

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 5:50 AM   in reply to ducky 9

Your photos are way oversized and could be the problem. They should be no more than about 25% larger than your sequence size if you are doing any pan and zoom, otherwise make them them no larger than the sequence setting.

There is no advantage to make them larger, as the maximum resolution will be at the export setting.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to ducky 9

No.

You must resize them.

Photoshop Elements and other programs can do a batch resize.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to ducky 9

What's in the sequence at the stopping point?  Post a screen shot right after it stops.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 6:22 PM   in reply to ducky 9

It stopped exactly right there?  The CTI was not moved before the screen shot?

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 7:44 PM   in reply to ducky 9

OK. My best guess is that you have something running on your system that is causing the stop.  Take a look at your Task Manager.  How many processes running?

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 8:01 PM   in reply to ducky 9

Processes is the relevant tab, not Performance.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 8:18 PM   in reply to ducky 9

Expand the Name and Description columns, so we can see what each is.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 8:36 PM   in reply to ducky 9

I meant expand horizontally, so we can read the entire entry without the ending ... after longer process names.

But already I can see that 70 some processes is very high for an edit system.  That should be lower than 50, maybe even 40, so you definitely have more things running than is wise.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 8:50 PM   in reply to ducky 9

Better, but man you do have a lot of **** running that probably shouldn't be on an edit system.  Wmpnetwk and SearchIndexer to name just two.  I'd start Googling and eliminating anything you don't need while editing, including Virus protection.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 9:04 PM   in reply to ducky 9

the only programs I've installed

That's actually the problem.  Whenever you buy a new computer, the very first thing you should do is wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows from scratch, because there will almost certainly be a lot of stuff on that machine that shouldn't be on an edit system.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 9:42 PM   in reply to ducky 9

Just don't forget to back up your files first.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points