Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Help please with Setting up Fonts

May 4, 2013 9:05 AM

Hello, thanks in advance.

By day I work at a studio on an Apple Mac, using InDesign.

By evening I work at home on my Windows 8 PC, using InDesign with the Creative Cloud.

Therefore I'm having difficulties with the transferring of fonts.

Specifically, I have two problems and hoping someone may be able to kindly help on here...

Taking one example, font Gotham.

- I have been able to transfer this font to my Window 8 PC. I have installed all Gotham styles (16 of them - eg Bold, Bold Italic, Regular, Book etc) onto my PC, using the inbuilt Windows 'Font' window in the Control Panel.

- Early indications are good - when I load up InDesign, I can see all 16 of these fonts and can select and use them.

- But I have two subsequent issues

1) The 16 fonts show up as roughly 8 separate Fonts, each with only 1 or 2 styles. At the Studio, in InDesign, I just select 'Gotham', and then there are 16 sub-fonts (styles?) to choose from. On my PC, there are 8 separate fonts, despite all being grouped together as one 'Family' in the Font window on my Control Panel. Is there a way that these fonts can be grouped together on InDesign? Otherwise it's a real pain to use!

2) More importantly, I package my work on the Apple computer, save and take home. When I reload at home it says that it cannot find the 'Gotham' fonts, despite the fact that InDesign shows them! Therefore all fonts convert to the default.

Is anyone aware of these issues and able to help?

Many thanks in advance, greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Simon

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2013 9:14 AM   in reply to SimonWadsworth1983

Where did you et the version of the font installed on the PC? It sounds like you have different versions on the PC and Mac.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to SimonWadsworth1983

When you see fonts on PC with 0 bytes it usually indicates that they are Mac format Type1 or TrueType fonts, and they are not usable on the PC.   I've been doing some reading, and you might want to as well, at http://www.typography.com/ask/faq.php (particularly item 32), which explains at least partially why you are seeing different names and groupings across platforms. You may see this even with an OpenType version of the font.  You should also read the EULA (http://www.typography.com/home/eula.php). Based on the EULA I would not choose Gotham for any work that was going to be distributed electronically.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points