Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Help for Photoshop CS6 Computer Build, please

May 5, 2013 8:22 AM

Tags: #configuration #compatibility #disk #scratch

Hello to you all.

I have been reading you for years, but normally do not write because of my poor English.

Following various discussions I think (and hope) that I have assembled a good PC that will be used primarily with Photoshop (at the time CS6). I use it for my website for photographs (Canon 5D mark ii) and for the photographic manipulations.

My questions are as follows:

1. Depending on the configuration you put it under, on which SSD drive should I put Windows 8?

2. Should I have a dual boot with Windows 7 for compatibility problems?

3. Is Windows 8 compatible with all major plugin? (OnOne, AlienSkin, Autofx, Nik Software).

4. Is Windows 8 compatible with actions such as Miranda, CMA, MCP, Craig's action etc?

In case I would need to have both Seven and Eight I believe that there is no choice: the two OS on the SSD and 250GB (I think ..) on the scratch disk 128GB SSD.

But in this case where do I put my programs? They are normally used to hold OS and programs on different partitions (preferably different disks). Or maybe I should give a partition of the WD Red as scratch disk and put the programs on the 128 GB SSD?

And a last question (for the moment):

Where do I put the pagefile and hiberfil.sys?

Having 64GB of RAM these two files are huge and, among other things, in a Desktop PC I would say that hibernation is useless.

What do you think? The 3TB WD is still to be partitioned and I must also add two 1TB drives that are in the current computer as a. I also have several external storage drives for backup.

Since I can still do everything, I would like to get some advice from the "gurus" I have been reading of for many years

Here is the configuration and thank you for any help you can give me.

1.     Thermaltake Level 10 GT E-ATX Modular Tower Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5INT No PS USB3.0 Snow Edition

2.     Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 LGA2011 Heatpipe Cooler w/ NF-P14 140mm & NF-P12 120mm PWM Fans

3.     Intel Core i7 3930K 6 Core 12MB 3.2GHZ Hyperthreading Unlocked LGA2011 Processor No HSF

4.     G.SKILL RipjawsZ F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL 2X32GB (4X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 Sandy Bridge E 1.5V Memory Kit) (tot. 64GB)

6.     ASUS P9X79 ATX LGA2011 X79 DDR3 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 1PCI SATA3 USB3.0 SLI CrossFireX Audio Motherboard

7. 2X Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 980MHZ 2GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Video Cardin SLI

8.     Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850W 80+ Silver ATX 12V V2.3 Power Supply 20/24PIN w/ Silent 135mm Fan

9.     Western Digital Red 3TB SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5in Internal Hard Disk Drive HDD

10.     Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 256 GB SATA 6GB/s Solid State Drive

11.     Samsung Electronics 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 128 GB SATA 6GB/s Solid State Drive

12.     Microsoft Windows 8 64Bit English DVD

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2013 4:21 PM   in reply to LioCanada

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers: 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 4:26 PM   in reply to LioCanada

Excerpt from that link:

Please only ask your question once and be patient.

Regular members here read all the messages in every topic.

If you have a question, please make the Topic Title clear and be patient for a response.

If someone knows the answer, they will give it. The person who knows the answer to your question may be on the other side of the globe, just going to bed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 4:31 PM   in reply to LioCanada

BTW, as a dedicated Mac user, I am not in a position to comment on your windows box.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 6:35 PM   in reply to LioCanada

hiberfil.sys is a copy of your RAM that the computer uses when it come out of hibernation to load everything back into RAM.  I done away with my hiberfil.sys in windows 7.    If you have 64GB of RAM the file should be large indeed. There is no absolute necessarity for having a hibernation feature  for RAM.  (If you use virtual computers for different OS each one will have a hibernated file)

I don't use a dual boot because you have to pick which OS you are using at the time of launch.  I have a second C drive that has my older OS on it that I use when I need to access older equipment like my dedicated film scanner.  I also have a second copy of my Windows 7 C drive on a second physical hard drive so if I ever have problems I don't have to reload everything from scratch. I would just need to reload stuff that I upgraded since I duped my C drive.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 6:55 PM   in reply to LioCanada

You may be wasting money if you expect increased performance using 2 video cards. Since they are identical should be no problem with Photoshop, but performance will be about same as using one card.

Unless you like the features of Win 8 I would recommend staying with Win 7.  Win 8 in not viewed as a step up in the OS by many.  For plug ins make sure they are compatable with 64 bit.

There is no need to use individual SSD.  Buy one larger unit as you will be able to use it more effetely.  If you have everything on a SSD drive your performance will be blazing fast.

Read this for performance checklist.  http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-performance-photoshop-cs4 -cs5.html

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,057 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2013 8:58 PM   in reply to LioCanada

LioCanada wrote:

In case I would need to have both Seven and Eight I believe that there is no choice:

And a last question (for the moment):

Where do I put the pagefile and hiberfil.sys?

Having 64GB of RAM these two files are huge and, among other things, in a Desktop PC I would say that hibernation is useless.

No choice.... Does someone have a gun on you or does you livelihood depend on you running windows 7 and windows 8.  I see no compelling reason to update a desktop PC to Windows 8. It may even be a step backwards.  In time when Microsoft has released windows 8 SP1 and there is talk about dropping support for windows 7 windows may be the way to go

Windows like all if its stuff on the boot disk and make the page file somewhere around 100% of real ram size plus some percentage,  Hibernation file is around 100% Ram size and if you are running a plugged-in desktop with a UPS  and you want to cut your power cost you can get by with using sleep mode.  However Windows has problems with some hardware devices and is unable to use some devices after waking up after sleep or resuming from hibernation.  I never have my machine hibernate, So I used  the command line power configuration command to disable hibernation. That will delete the hibernation file off your SSD.  Also 64GB is a lot of ram for still image processing so I install less so Windows use up all my SDD  which I also want to use for Photoshop swap space.  I also do not many to pay top dollar for the fastest and greatest CPU they are price too high. Price for performance means more to me.  Though I can put together a system I no longer do. For I can buy one put together with what I want at a cost below what it would cost me.  It also come with legal OS and a three year warrantee.  I don't need to service the machine myself or worry about the warrantees from all the vender I used to get parts.  I also don't feel its necessary to buy new IMO there is nothing wrong with buying a refurbish machine that come with a three year warrantee. The hare Part is catching one that you want.  Worthwile machine that are put on the refurbished list for sale are snatched up very quickly you need to chect the list ofter a snatch a good one for your self.

Last month my old PC was on its death bed was time to replace. So I went an looked are CPU prices.  Here is what I saw then the prices have cone down ever more now.

CPU_Prices.jpg

What I wound up with from Dell Outlet:

Dell Outlet Precision Fixed Workstation T5600, 825W Tower

Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Operating System DVD

Processor: Intel Xeon Dual Six Core E5-2620 Processor (2.0GHz, 15M, 7.2 GT/s,Turbo)

2GB NVIDIA Quadro 4000, Dual Monitor, 2DP & 1DVI (max resolution 2560x1600 two)

8GB, DDR3 RDIMM Memory, 1600MHz, ECC (4 DIMMS)

PERC H310 RAID Controller

256 GB Solid State Drive

500 GB SATA, 3.5 Inch, 10K Hard Drive

8X DVD +/- RW Optical Drive

English  Keyboard

Dell USB Optical Mouse

Precision T5600: 3 Year Basic Hardware Service with 3 Year

8GB RAM SNPRYK18C/8G (dell $107) Dell Part# A5681559 and A5681561

Ebay off brand  registered $62 min order 25???

web off brand DMS registered $79

$2,029.00 Dell Outlet       + $180 4TB external USB3 Disk  $316 32GB ECC memory  Total $2,525,00

$3,598.10 Dell Sale Price

$5,135.86 Dell List no one pays list

If I bought all new from Dell the price tag would have been over $4k

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2014 6:55 AM   in reply to LioCanada

I know this is an older post, but a lot of people still use it as a point of reference for this topic. I've gone into a lot of detail on the "How and Why" in select parts for Building a Photoshop CS6 Computer (PC), but with the release of CC I've also updated that information a bit, not because CC does anything special, but I've had a chance to compare and verify the specifics over the past few months.

One of the main things people get wrong is how Video Cards/GPU actually works in Photoshop and what it does, and how the multiple hard drives effect efficiency. Yes you can get by with old Dual Core and 4GB of Ram and no video card, but not if you are doing PAID high end Print work like posters as someone else pointed out.

You can read the full Article Here:

http://robertoblake.com/blog/2014/01/building-photoshop-cs6-computer-2 014/

If you want you can skipto some configurations I've built depending on how you use Photoshop as a Photographer, Designer or if you are a Video Editor who happens to use Photoshop. The builds can be customized and ordered outright. Enjoy!

Building a Photoshop Computer for Photographers
    8 Core 3.6GHz, 16GB Ram, 1TB HDD, 2X 128GB SSD, GTX 760 2GB Video Card
    $1608.19  http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Robertoblake/saved/3oe2

Building a Photoshop Computer for Advertising Graphic Designers
    8 Core 3.6GHz, 32GB Ram, 1TB HDD, 3X 128GB SSD, GTX 760 2GB Video Card, BlurRay Burner,
    $1805.16  http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Robertoblake/saved/3oep

Building a Photoshop Computer for Motion Graphic Designers and Video Editors
    8 Core 3.6GHz, 64GB Ram, 2X 1TB HDD, 4X 128GB SSD, GTX 780Ti 3GB Video Card, BlurRay Burner,
    $2704.53  http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Robertoblake/saved/3oeE

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points