Skip navigation
TimGCreate
Currently Being Moderated

My InDesign is Middle Eastern... and shouldn't be

May 4, 2013 12:51 PM

Tags: #install #license #download #middle_eastern #usa_english

Hello, all. I purchased Design & Web Premium CS6 (note well: the suite, not Creative Cloud) on Dec 31 and used most of the other apps, but have been working mostly in InDesign only in the last few weeks. So I was late noticing something weird: I have the Middle Eastern version installed. I'm licensed for English, but somehow that's what I've got. I don't know if it affects other apps, but with InDesign, it messes up a lot of stuff (documents are set for right side binding by default, text flow is wrong direction etc).

I should add that I downloaded via the FTP link from Adobe, rather than with the Download Manager, which I never was able to get to work for me (it would get to the end of the download and fail—tried oodles of times).

I have been given to understand though that it's the same download, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Is there any way to force my InDesign to serve me the USA English version?

I've tried Adobe chat support for help with this, but didn't receive much help (he wanted me to call InDesign product support, but my 90 days are well past).

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2013 1:36 PM   in reply to TimGCreate

It sounds like you downloaded the ME version. You can uninstall the suite and download the US version and install that.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

By the way -- there's nothing wrong with having the Middle East version

installed. You have 100% of the functionality of the English US version,

plus the ability to set Hebrew, Arabic, and any other languages you

might one day need.

As with all InDesign settings, you can easily change your preferences so

that default documents are left-to-right, default paragraph styles as

you like, etc.

You never know when you might need it, and it's not possible to install

the Middle East version alongside the regular version, so if you ever do

need RTL capabilities, you'll have to uninstall and reinstall.

Ariel

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 3:45 PM   in reply to TimGCreate

We have no way to know what that link leads to since you haven't told us what it is...  There are direct-download links at http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cs6-direct-download-links.html, but NOTE WELL that you must follow the directions on the page EXACTLY or they will not work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 4:22 PM   in reply to TimGCreate

There's nothing specific in the file names there to indicate a localization, but they are not the same files from ProDesign Tools links....

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 4:27 PM   in reply to TimGCreate

With no documents open, File>Document setup. Set the binding options as

you'd like.

Ariel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 6, 2013 4:24 AM   in reply to TimGCreate

When I installed my Adobe Design and Web Premium CS6 several months ago, I followed levleo's advise and managed to turn it into the ME version through Adobe Applications manager. Now I have a new machine with Windows 8 to which I am transferring my software. However, I can no longer apply the same instructions for the change of language to turn it into the ME version like last time. The Adobe Application manager does not work for me when I click on its icon, though I can access a smaller version of it through the update link of a program. However, there are no language change prefs there.

Can anyone tell me what has changed or am I missing something. Please help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points