Skip navigation
makaylaamae
Currently Being Moderated

How do I remove the black border from around my videos?

May 4, 2013 3:29 PM

Tags: #problem #video #premiere_elements_7 #black_border #sigh

I have PE7 on my Dell laptop with Windows 7. I've been editing videos on it probably since January. I just never thought anything of the black border, but recently it's really been bugging me. I tried Googling some answers, but all I found was to switch your camera to 16:9 Widescreen. My JVC Everio GZ-MG555U was already set to that setting. I'm just frustrated & I want to get rid of this border. If anyone knows the answer to this problem, please let me know. I need help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2013 3:46 PM   in reply to makaylaamae

Similar to not being able to fit a round peg in a square hole, you need to be sure that your project setting 100% matches your video

Importing Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1065281

-and project settings http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1112086

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 4:01 PM   in reply to makaylaamae

makaylaamae

The answers are in the details, and your mention of JVC and that 16:9 widescreen settings suggests to me that you are trying to edit .mod widescreen in Premiere Elements.

If you are in a NTSC area, the project preset which would match the properties of that video would be NTSC DV Widescreen. However, when and if the .mod widescreen imports, it presents as if it were .mod standard. Two theories: (a) loss of 16:9 flag to stretch video for display after encoding or (b) Premiere Elements not recognizing the 16:9 flag.

Whatever the case, many have resolved the issue,

(a) right clicking the file in Project Media, selecting Interpret Footage, and, then in the Interpret Footage dialog/Pixel Aspect Ratio section, dot the Conform to: and set it to D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9

(b) some have used a program named SD Copy to change the .mod to .mpg file extension and add the 16:9 flag (very difficult to find this program any longer)

Please review the above and let us know the outcome.

The .mod standard and .mod widescreen is an old story.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to makaylaamae

makaylaamae

Great news.

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I am having this problem too.  I have outputted a slideshow from PSE 11 to PE 11 and I'm getting the black border around each photo.  After searching the forums I tried this:

"Whatever the case, many have resolved the issue,

(a)  right clicking the file in Project Media, selecting Interpret Footage,  and, then in the Interpret Footage dialog/Pixel Aspect Ratio section,  dot the Conform to: and set it to D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9"

The black borders went away, but my pictures were distorted.  So that's not a solution.  It looks like the frame size is the same in the slide show and in PE 11 (1920x1080).  Is there some other setting I need to change?  I don't remember ever having this problem with earlier versions of PSE and PE. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 2:28 PM   in reply to Susan Verner

Susan Verner

As I recall that suggestion was specific to the question of dealing with .mod widescreen in a Premiere Elements NTSC or PAL DV Widescreen project.

As I always write "Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes. So let us explore the details of your particular situation.

Is your goal DVD-VIDEO widescreen 16:9 on DVD disc? Or are you heading for burn to Blu-ray?

What is the project preset that you or the program is setting in the new project dialog? Verify via Edit Menu/Project Settings. When your Photoshop Elements slideshow is on the Premiere Elements Timeline (Expert view) is the Edit Mode Monitor space filled with the image or do you see black borders at that point?

If you have black borders, are you attempting to scale the image in the monitor to fill the monitor space with your image?

What are the pixel dimensions of the photos in your slideshow and how many of them are there and what is the aspect ratio? Have they been resized or resized/cropped?

The answers to the above should go a long way to resolving the issues. With proper photo sizing, proper Premiere Elements import and export settings there should be no problem.

Looking forward to your follow up.

If you want to try a few things before writing again:

a. resize photos so that they are not oversized for the standard or standard widescreen project...special attention to aspect ratio 4:3 or 16:9

and

b. set the Premiere Elements 11 project preset yourself prior to outputting your Photoshop Elements 11 Elements Organizer Slideshow to it..Premiere Elements File Menu/New/Project...DV Standard or DV Widescreen with a check mark next to Force selected Project Setting on this project. Then output your Photoshop Elements 11 slideshow to Premiere Elements 11.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 9:10 PM   in reply to makaylaamae

makaylaamae

Let us recap for your .mod widescreen.

1. You are shooting .mod widescreen with your JVC camera.

2. You imported the .mod widescreen into Premiere Elements project with a DV widescreen project preset.

3. You applied Interpret Footage as specified previously, changing the Pixel Aspect Ratio there to the one for DV Widescreen.

4. Everything worked before this current post. Is 1 through 4 correct? In that particular instance did that stay fixed?

When did things go bad...with the same footage.... when and what were you doing when it went bad?

Or did things go bad when you tried to repeat the good results with a different piece of .mod widescreen footage?

Depending on your details of the current situation...

a. make a copy of a problematic .mod widescreen. Change just the file extension of the file from .mod to .mpg. Then import the .mpg into Premiere Elements with the DV Widescreen project preset. See what that looks like and use Interpret Footage if necessary.

That is the plan. What do you think?

Another important question that comes to mind....are you having this problem now ONLY when you view your uploaded video on YouTube? If so, what does the video look like at playback in the monitor before the upload to YouTube? If you export to DV AVI, what does the DV AVI play look like in Windows Media Player?

Take a break from the action and then take a fresh look at the situation. Do not give up. All will fall into place. We need to make sure that we are communicating on the video properties and your project settings.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:12 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Thank you AT.  I did discover scale to frame size last night and that mostly solves the problem.  I am outputting to DVD video widescreen, btw.  My  project has about 150 photos with pan and zoom applied in PSE.  I do see that image size is a problem.  The full resolution digital photos work better without scaling to frame size, so I'm just turning that off for those photos instead of resizing everything.  I scanned the other photos from prints and they work fine when I scale.

I tried the project preset you suggested but that didn't seem to change anything.  I'm happy with the scale to frame size option.

Thanks for the suggestions!

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 9:27 AM   in reply to Susan Verner

Susan Verner

Thanks for the follow up.

If you have a plan that is succeeding; that is good; go with it. But, if any problems, please get back to us with details to be addressed.

It is not uncommon for the Photoshop Elements Slideshow Editor slideshow pans & zooms not to translate very well once in Premiere Elements workspace. Often it is best to apply the pans & zooms when the Photoshop Elements Slideshow Editor slideshow is in Premiere Elements after a Photoshop Elements Slideshow Editor Output = Edit with Premiere Elements Editor and Premiere Elements  Break Apart Elements Organizer Slideshow command.

In Premiere Elements 11, you have at least 3 choices for doing the Pan & Zoom

a. the Pan & Zoom Tool

b. keyframing the Motion Properties of Scale (for zoom) and Position (for pan)

c. presets, found under Effects Tab/Presets (with this choice, remember you can apply a Pan OR Zoom to one of your photos but not PAN AND ZOOM.

Success with your project. We are here to help if you need any assistance.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 4:26 PM   in reply to makaylaamae

makaylaamae

Let us go through this in recap fashion and see if we can pin point the source of your problem.

1. From all I have read of your camera and what you have written, you are recording MPEG2.mod widescreen.

That video is 720 x 480 with a 16:9 that stretches the video for display after encoding. When you import that footage into a Premiere Elements 7 NTSC DV Widescreen project, if it does not present as 16:9, many have been able to move forward applying Interpret Footage with the Conform to: pixel aspect ratio that I have mentioned, that is, D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2).

After you do that, first report seemed to be success. At that point (after the Interpret Footage) did the video displayed in the monitor fill the Edit Mode Monitor space that was set up to correspond to the project preset? If not, did you scale the video the rest of the way to assure complete fill of the monitor space with the video?

For now, I will assume Yes.

When you got to Premiere Elements 7 Share/Online/YouTube, what did you use as the preset? You have 3 choices:

Flash Preset for You Tube

HD Video for YouTube 1440 x 1080

HD Video for YouTube 1920 x 1080

If the above is the case, I would like you to export your Timeline to NTSC DV Widescreen, saving it to a hard drive location. Then I would like you to upload that video to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

For the export to NTSC DV Widescreen, please refer to Share/Personal Computer/DV AVI/with preset of DV NTSC Widescreen.

Please review and let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:40 PM   in reply to makaylaamae

makaylaamae

Where in Premiere Elements 7 are you seeing 320 x 240 as your video frame size?

Now we may be on to clue. If Premiere Elements 7 Properties is telling you that the video has a frame size of 320 x 240, you are definitely not shotting .mod widescreen 16:9. If you were, the program at worse, would be showing 720 x 480. I have never seen .mod widescreen "backfire" on anything other than the file extension and pixel aspect ratio (16:9). So, first order of business, clear away this frame size issue:

a. check, double check, your camera settings and confirm that mod widescreen setting yourself or with the help of JVC

b. download and install the free MediaInfo program for a properties readout of this video file.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Let us determine if MediaInfo agrees with Premiere Elements frame size readouts.

This would be an extremely rare, but interesting, case if Premiere Elements is not interpreting the frame size of your particular video correctly. There is history for misinterpreted frame rate and pixel aspect ratio, but frame size?????

Let us give this another look.

We will be watching for your review of the situation there.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 4:36 PM   in reply to makaylaamae

makaylaamae

Thanks for staying with the troubleshooting. I will stay with this as long as it takes to get the project to a successful conclusion. Let us work through this step by step.

1. The readout that you give for your JVC video file is consistent with what those .mod widescreen files have been reading out as, that is,

720 x 480 with a pixel aspect ratio of 0.9091 (standard 4:3) rather than 720 x 480 with a pixel aspect ratio of 1.2121 (widescreen 16:9).

2. Premiere Elements 7. Start a new project with the project preset of NTSC DV Widescreen.

3. With Get Media/Files and Folders import your video clip into the project and drag it to the Timeline.

4. Go to Interpret Footage and, in the Interpret Footage dialog, dot the Conform to: and change the Pixel Aspect Ratio to

D1/DV NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2).

5. Right click the Monitor, select Magnification, and make sure that that the setting is "Fit". Now look at the Edit Mode Monitor space. Is the area designated for the video display filled? No black borders? If so, continue. If not, you are going to scale the video to make the fill. It should not take much scaling for this if needed.

a. Select your video on the Timeline

b. Open Properties/Motion Panel to reveal Scale. Use the Scale slider to zoom in to fill the monitor space to the minimal degree to achieve that purpose, that is, getting rid of any unfilled space (black borders).

6.Then export that Timeline to a NTSC DV AVI widescreen file, saving it to the computer desktop.

Use Share/Computer/DV AVI with Presets: DV NTSC Widescreen

Check out how your NTSC DV AVI widescreen plays back on Windows Media Player. Nevertheless, continue on....

7. Go to the YouTube web site and upload your DV NTSC Widescreen there. And, let us know the results.

We can talk about the upload of your Premiere Elements 7 Timeline with its mod widescreen to YouTube from within Premiere Elements 7 Share/Online/YouTube next if necessary. If you have any problems along the way, stop, let us know the details, and we will work out the problem before continuing with the next steps.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 5:34 PM   in reply to makaylaamae

makaylaamae

Thanks for the follow.

Please try the upload of the NTSC DV AVI widescreen file to YouTube at the YouTube web site if nothing else but for troubleshooting purposes.

I am uneasy with you uploading a 720 x 480 with 16:9 flag to YouTube from within Premiere Elements 7 with its 1920 x 1080 16:9 preset. The chances for pixelation are high upscaling to that degree, but worth a try to prove it one way or another in your specific case.

Just so we meet the issue head on and rule factors in or out to gain the success that you seek.

Wishing you success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 6:03 PM   in reply to makaylaamae

makaylaamae

Great, great news.

But, as I suggested, you having YouTube upscale that 720 x 480 with 16:9 flag to 1920 x 1080 16:9 might be the source of video quality problems when viewing the now flash video at YouTube.

Hope you have time for the previously mentioned NTSC DV AVI Widescreen upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

We will be watching for further developments. Keep up the good work. You are doing fine.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 6:38 PM   in reply to makaylaamae

makaylaamae

Thanks for the additional information. Was there any improvement at all in what you were seeing for uploaded NTSC DV AVI Widescreen uploaded to YouTube at the YouTube web site?

If you think it worthwhile, we could try another format for the upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site. YouTube typically perfers H.264.mp4 or H.264.mov. But I thought that the NTSC DV AVI Widescreen might do the job.

Thanks for taking time for the troubleshooting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points