Skip navigation
ttk64
Currently Being Moderated

Display video on time line is blank (white) Error message appears

May 4, 2013 7:50 PM

Display video on time line is blank (white) Error message appears stating display drivers are incompatible. Upgrade Display Drivers. According to computer software all drivers are current

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2013 9:22 PM   in reply to ttk64

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on which computer operating system it is running.

If you are confident that video card driver is up to date, then try deleting the BadDrivers.txt file found in Windows 7 or 8 64 bit under Local Disk C\Program Data\

the rest of the path would be:

Adobe

Premiere Elements

whatever the version is

and then in that latter folder would be the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete.

In Folder Options, make sure that "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drivers" is active.

The error message may be unrelated to the blank white screen. So, we may be asking next about:

a. Computer resources

b. Source Media properties, Premiere Elements settings and the like

Is this one of those problems where

a. this never worked before

or

b. worked before but does not work now

We will be watching for your answers and then decide what next if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 5:01 AM   in reply to ttk64

ttk64

Did deleting the BadDrivers.txt file have any affect on the problem?

The video card appears to be the obvious target as per the error message. You might check online yourself to assure that there is not a more recent version of the video card driver. Have you tried uninstalling and resinstalling the present video card driver?

Is this issue affecting all projects or just one? What happens if you open a new project? What is the project preset that is being used (See Edit Menu/Project Settings if not sure) and what are the properties of the source media (video and audio compression, frame rate, file extension, and so on)?

Although your error message seems to be targeting the video card driver, you might try

a. deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file found Local Disk C\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Premiere Elements\Premiere Elements\11.0...in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

b. defining properites of source media (MediaInfo program for properties readout) and using alternative media such a jpeg photos as part of the troubleshooting.

Please review the above and let us know the results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to ttk64

>According to computer software all drivers are current

Do not rely on Windows Update... you need to go directly to the hardware vendor to check

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 4:32 AM   in reply to ttk64

Tony

Glad the BadDrivers.txt file deletion worked to resolve your problem. Thanks for the follow up with that good news.

Continued success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 10:21 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

The fact that it solved it for you should only be an indication that there is a display driver issue. Getting the corect display drivers before a Premiere Elements video editing session is very important. there could be other inexplicable issues because of bad drivers. this should at best be considered a temporary solution. We have seen that this fixes the problem for most of the people, but there are others who have benefited only from a vendor-supplied-display-driver-update.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to VDOSurfer

VDOSurger

Back in the days of Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 BadDrivers.txt file took on a life of its own after I started the following thread on that display card error.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3177024

The following is a significant excerpt from that thread in which Daksha123 went into BadDrivers.txt file and what it is all about

(It was/is my understanding the Daksha123 was writing at the time from Adobe.) Dakasha in an earlier post in that thread gave the BadDriver.txt deletion fix  which worked for me and so many others. Mine at least on a permanent basis.

Dakaha123 wrote:

If GPU card is available on a system, PRE9 uses that card for faster and smoother playback. If the driver version installed on the mechine is not compatible with PRE9,  that driver version is stored in BadDrivers.txt file and then PRE9 runs in pure software mode to avoid any further crashes/problems due to that bad driver. It generally happens when driver promises to support some GPU capabilities but actually doesn't support those capabilities at all...

In this scenario, PRE9 shows a warning message to users that driver installed on the machine is not compatible and user should update display driver.  Generally updating to latest display driver should solve this problem: if latest driver is compatibe with PRE9, PRE9 will run in normal mode with faster and smoother playback. (As in case of Hunt & jjjbbbqqq)

Sometimes, as in case of Ron, even the latest driver shows *inconsistent* incomaptibility with PRE9. And in this case deleting "BadDrivers.txt" file should work.

If an user is observing consistent incompatibility (even after deleting "BadDrivers.txt" file the same message pops up again) with the latest driver then that driver is really a bad driver for PRE9 and with that driver PRE9 will always run in pure software mode. There is a very little probability of this kind of card and driver.

So in summary,

if user is getting warning message : "We have detected an incompatible display driver. To get a better and faster playback performance, please update your display driver "

1. 1. User should try to get the latest driver for the card available on those systems,
    2. 2. If user is getting same message again even after updating the driver, try to re-launch app after deleting BadDrivers.txt file,
    3. 3. If even deleting “BadDrivers.txt” is not working and they are again getting same message, then that driver is really a bad driver for PRE9. PRE9 will run in pure software mode in that case.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to ttk64

I have a similar problem but with no error message.  I have Windows 7 64 bit, nvidia GeForce GTS 430 graphics and Premiere Elements 10.

This has worked perfectly well for some time but gets used only occasionally.  I keep the graphics driver updated all the time.  With the latest driver, 331.65, I get no video in the review pane, just grey instead of black and no video.  If I revert to earlier drivers the same thing happens, unless I go back to a much earlier driver 314.21 and then the video review pane reverts to black and displays video when the play button is clicked.

I have deleted the baddrivers.txt file but this makes no difference.  Please help!

Ther are no error messages, just no video!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 8, 2013 9:36 AM   in reply to hugh.letheren

hugh.letheren

Please review the following thread in which I have tried to keep track of this wave of Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA video card driver issues. As I have already pointed out, typically the suggestion for display problems is to make sure that the video card driver is up to date. In this particular syndrome, the fix seems to be to roll back the video card driver.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5817833#5817833

A few have reported that they have contacted NVIDIA directly on this particular situation and have gotten good results in that their problems were resolved. If you have not already, you please consider contacting NVIDIA directly.

What you describe has all the aspects of a video card issue.

Please review the above and then let us know the outcome with any further developments either in your workspace or from contact with NVIDIA.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points