Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"Table of Figures" isn't showing up in my TOC

May 4, 2013 8:37 PM

I'm an InDesign newbie, but I have successfully generated a "Table of Figures" for my book. For the "Table of Figures" chapter header style I am using the same style I'm using for all the other chapters that ARE appearing.  Yet the Table of Figures is not being listed in my TOC. I've updated the TOC, of course.

Help help! :-)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2013 3:47 AM   in reply to wwzeitler

I'm seeing the same thing, but here's a work-around you can use. Move the table of Figures to the pasteboard and draw a new text frame where it was. Copy the contents from the TOF and paste into the new frame.  This will keep the TOF live for updating (and recopying, if you update), but will include the copy in your regular TOC.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 6:26 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter's suggestion is a good one. When you generate a TOC, it's a "live" element, and you can't reference the styles that are in it in another context.

When you create an EPUB file from an InDesign document, you can specify paragraph styles which causes a page break in the EPUB. Similarly, I discovered, when you've placed an internal TOC  (one which is included within the body of the eBook), a paragraph style the TOC uses within it can't be used to create a page break. You have to use a trick like Peter's and place a separate type frame with the paragraph style outside the "live" TOC to cause the page break.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to wwzeitler

Yes, that should work as well.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers