Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Live Paint Bucket tool problem -> "Clipping paths are not allowed"; how to solve this issue?

May 5, 2013 2:38 AM

Tags: #clipping_path #compound_path #revit_architecture

Hi,

I'm an architecture student from Delft, the Netherlands and I want to take two 3D views from (autodesk) Revit Architecture 2012 to Illustrator CS5 and then make use of the live paint bucket tool*.  I've printed the two 3D views into pdf files and imported them in Illustrator**. When I select the whole image in Illustrator and then click with the Live Paint Bucket tool on the drawing to modify the drawing so I can color the surfaces, Illustrator gives me the following error:

"The selection contains objects that cannot be converted. Live Paint groups can only contain paths and compound paths. Clipping paths are not allowed."

How can I solve this issue? Exporting images (jpg, png and tiff) from Revit results in the same error. Is there a way to easily convert my vector drawing into a non-clipping paths drawing? Also I'm not sure if the problem should be found in either Revit or Illustrator. What's also strange is that I'm using a tutorial provided by my university, in which there are no issues with clipping paths or anything.

Hope you can help me, I've got my deadline wednesday 8th of may 11.59 pm (GMT +1)

* This in order to make an conceptual image of my building, which I've modeled in Revit. I want to add basic colors to surfaces in Illustrator and then take the image to Photoshop to add shadow, materials, sky etc.

** They only consist of lines, using the 'hidden line' visual style in my views in Revit, in case you know a bit of Revit.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2013 11:48 PM   in reply to Lenn_26

This error message can be a bit misleading. It only tells you a) that there is something in the selection that is not a path or compound path; and b) for purposes of this conversion, a clipping path is considered not to be a path or compound path.  It does not imply that there is a clipping path present to cause the conversion failure.

So don't spend your time looking for a solution to the clipping path problem; look for anything (including but not limited to a clipping path) that is not a path or compound path.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 9, 2013 2:35 PM   in reply to Lenn_26

You're welcome. I'm glad you figured it out. I had received that error message when there were no clipping paths involved, and wasted time trying to find something that wasn't there until I re-read the message v-e-r-y carefully.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points