Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

MAN, I hate the labyrinthine way PSE 11 works! "Watch Folder Service" Error

May 5, 2013 5:12 AM

MAN, I hate the labyrinthine way PSE 11 works!  Both in the program itself, and in the "support" section. This is so stupid!  I just entered my question 5 minutes ago, now I have to enter it all over again. I've been trying to find an answer to my problem for 5 months!  It is NOT "faster and easier to find your answer on-line." It is a royal runaround! Aaagh!

When I launch Photoshop Elements 11 - Organizer

1. A box called Elements Organizer comes up, saying it is "Updating." After a long time, it reaches 100%

2. A box called Watch Folder Service comes up, saying: "The Watch Folder Service returned and error: Message Format, Invalid Tag Id."

3. Then Photoshop is completely jammed. I cannot do anything until I use CTRL-ALT-DEL (Windows Task Manager) to shut down PSE.

Get me out of here!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to Mike\'sURLGallery

Tou could try a reset this is from the Help system Here

Restore default preferences

#

Preference settings control how Photoshop Elements displays images, cursors, and transparencies, saves files, uses plug‑ins and scratch disks, and so on. If the application exhibits unexpected behavior, the preferences file may be damaged. You can restore all preferences to their defaults.

Note:

Deleting the preferences file is an action that cannot be undone.

#

Do one of the following:

• Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Mac: Option+Command+Shift) immediately after Photoshop Elements begins launching. Click Yes to delete the Adobe Photoshop Elements settings file.
    • Go to Edit > Preferences (Mac: Photoshop Elements > Preferences > General), click the Reset Preferences on next launch button, and then click OK. When you restart Adobe Photoshop Elements, all preferences are reset to default settings.

#

A new preferences file is created the next time you start Photoshop Elements. For information on a specific preference option, search for the preference name in Help.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 1:33 AM   in reply to Mike\'sURLGallery

The resetting of the preferences file has been a staple for Photoshop products for as long as I can remember, (which is a while ), it's needed due to the open architecture that Adobe provides, allowing all sorts of add on functionality from third party developers.

There is no way that Adobe can try out all the possible combinations of settings so they provide the clear-all option of Ctrl-Alt-Shift on start-up.

This type of reset on startup is also available on other software such as Web browsers, and even Operating systems for similar reasons.

However. your issue does seem to be one with a high possibility of occurance, especially these days where removable drive are so popular - You set up a watch folder, and then if that folder is removed outside of elements it will hang next time that elements is run, It would be nice if the software asked the user for a new location or meerly ignored the location after a suitable timeout period, (maybe in Elements 12 ).

The long delay when starting the organiser is simply the software updating it's database of image files, it looks as if the database is only actually saved at the end of the boot proceedure, and as you are using Ctrl-Alt-Del to break out of the loop this is never completed, and therefor starts again with the index the next time you load the program

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 2:36 AM   in reply to Mike\'sURLGallery

You can refer to this blog for more details on watch folders (and associated issues): http://psekb.blogspot.in/2013/03/watch-folder-windows-only-feature-of- pse.html

~Andromeda

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points