Skip navigation
BogusException
Currently Being Moderated

3d globe ...of movieclips!

May 5, 2013 11:56 AM

Tags: #3d #3d-animation

Greetings!

How can I either do the below (a globe full of 'country' movies), or even just place 3D elements on a 3D globe animation?

Let's say I want to have a 'tower' on the earth. As the earth rotates, I want to be able to programmatically change it's color. Also, the tower itself is a 3d tower (think of a cube if easier to visualize).

The issue is how to animate objects in 3D on a 3D object in flash that is rotating-at runtime?

This post from FlashKit has them stumped:

Setup:

Been doing Flash/AS since pre-MX days

Very good .NET developer

Desired:

- A flash animation (movie) that has the countries comprising the Earth as separate movies, each 'on' a sphere that rotates-resembling the countries on the Earth in their arrangement.

- By internal or external means (It will be put into/onto a winform when done), 'address' each country movie in the whole so as to change it's appearance. Red, transparent, 'play()', etc...

Purpose:

- To create a user interface, well.. display, that the user will use by seeing that different countries change color and other attributes, signaling some kind of status.

- So as the 'world' is turning, individual countries are turning different colors. The actual control of which is seemingly elementary compared to the problem of how to render the movies (countries) in a way to resemble a 3d environment.

- As vector, it can be zoomed into/enlarged with no loss of 'fidelity'.

I'm jut looking for ideas, not someone to do this for me. Feel free, but I can't pay [much!]. I don't want to go down the road of capturing/rendering 360 images of every one of 200+ countries, then manually making a movie... That sounds frighteningly tedious and inelegant.

Replies
  • kglad
    72,235 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2013 5:13 PM   in reply to BogusException

can you use 2d objects in 3d space?  ie, your objects will not have depth but can appear to move in 3d space.  if yes, anything you want to do will be easier.

if no and you need true 3d, you'll need to use a 3rd party 3d library like away3d or flare3d.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points