Skip navigation
debfaye19
Currently Being Moderated

Question about cropping???

May 5, 2013 1:51 PM

When I crop my photos with Photoshop Elements 11 it all looks great...but then when I print them the heads are cut off??? Why would this happen? Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2013 2:00 PM   in reply to debfaye19

Hi,

Usually it is because you are not cropping it to the same aspect ration as the paper.

Please tell us the pixel dimension of the image after you crop it and the size of the paper you are using.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to debfaye19

Hi,

You didn't answer my question - without that we cannot identify where the problem is.

Are you saying that if you crop your photos to the same dimensions using another program, then it prints ok? What other program do you use?

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 3:13 PM   in reply to debfaye19

Hi,

Since you are using windows, if you use windows explorer to find the photo and then right click on it to select properties, the details tab will give you the dimensions (height & width).

If you use the organizer, select the photo and then look at the information tab on the right.

In general, if you are going to request a 6 x 4 photo to be printed, you would select those values when using the crop tool.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 3:17 PM   in reply to Little_Pale_Face

Hi,

Additional info.

When using the organizer to show the infomation you will see a line that says something like " Size 10.4MB 2592x3888.

The last bit is the pixel size

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 1:33 AM   in reply to debfaye19

Hi,

Sorry about the delay in getting back but I'm in the UK and sleep got in the way.

As you are just starting to learn about cropping, I suggest you start by using the Guided mode.

1) Open an image in the Editor

2) Select Guided from the modes at the top (Quick, Guided, Expert)

3) On the right hand panel select Crop Photo (you may have to expand the Touchups list)

4) There is a drop down list next to Crop Box Size - select 4 x 6 in (or other print sizes as required)

5) You can leave the Overlay box set to Rule of Thirds - this is just a composition aid

6) Now resize, move and rotate the crop box on the photo as required

7) Select the green tick to commit the crop

8) Save the photo and send for printing.

I would suggest that you make sure that there a little extra space around the important part of the photo as some printers overprint the edges so you could loose a few pixels all the way around.

If you are new to Photoshop Elements I strongly advise you to spend some time watching a few of the videos

http://tv.adobe.com/show/learn-photoshop-elements-11/

If you start using the organizer, the golden rule is not to rename, move or delete photos outside of elements otherwise you will get disconnected files.

Hope the above helps you - enjoy elements.

Brian

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points