Skip navigation
shanahan3030
Currently Being Moderated

Could not print “image name” because there is not enough memory (RAM).

May 5, 2013 5:04 PM

Tags: #photoshop #not_enough_memory

I cannot print anything from Photoshop CS5. I always get the message:

Could not print “image name” because there is not enough memory (RAM).

I'm using Mac OS 10.6.8, with 8 GB RAM. I have tried setting memory usage to 100% of RAM (7379 MB for me). The "Ideal Range" is 4058-5313 MB. I cannot print anything, not even a 20 kB  file because I always get that error message.

I've tried unistalling & reinstalling, just to see if that did anything. It didn't help.

Does anyione have any ideas for what the problem is?

Thanks,

Dan

(I don't have a problem printing from any other programs, like Gimp, but I want to print from Photoshop because of they way it allows you to adjust what part of the image you print when you are cropping the image during printing.)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2013 5:14 PM   in reply to shanahan3030

That is somewhat of a generic message.  Can mean not big enough scratch disk file, HD filled up (should have 10-20% free), but  not RAM problem with 8 gigs. 

Unistalling and reinstall does little good.  First aid is to reset preferences.  On Mac start PS and immeditaely hold down cmd option shift keys.  If fast enough you will get a reset window.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2013 5:42 PM   in reply to shanahan3030

shanahan3030 wrote:

…have tried setting memory usage to 100% of RAM (7379 MB for me…

That is never a good idea.  You're starving the OS of RAM.  Try pulling it back to 70% or less.

Also, clarify how much disk space you have left on your boot drive and on your scratch drive.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points