Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Posting Feature Requests for others to Copy/Paste

May 5, 2013 7:51 PM

I recently posted a Feature Request I sent to Adobe for another member to copy/paste as his own FR since he liked the suggestion (see the FR below). 

After doing so, I got the idea that we could all do this: copy/paste FRs we send to Adobe into threads on this forum to help each other support the idea with similar requests, or even copy/paste the FR as our own.  With limited resources and time, there's only so many requests Adobe can implement in every new version.   That why it's so important that new features the Premiere Pro team invests their hard work and time on be the tools that would benefit the greatest number of editors.  The more people back up certain ideas, the more likely they'll be implemented sooner than later.

There's power in numbers, so how about using this forum to share our best ideas and make it easier for others to add their voice of support?  It's great that Adobe provides us with a way to send them feedback, but it's too bad that it's a one-way conversation with very little, if any, dialogue back and forth between the submitter and Adobe.  That's why I thought it would be great to bring more of that potential dialogue here, where we can share ideas and support the creation of an ever better Premiere Pro!

If you've never posted a FR or BR (Bug Report) before, you can easily join the effort to make Premiere Pro become all that it can be, here: www.adobe.com/go/wish

Comments?  Ideas?  Please share!

Here's the FR I pasted in another thread, as an example. 

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature:  Drag&Drop Modified clips into Project Window

How would you like the feature to work?

Ability to Drag&Drop clips with effects, motion settings, keyframes and/or markers back into the Project Window from the Timeline for later use.

Why is this feature important to you?

The Project Window is far better than Sequences for storing/organizing modified clips for future use, since it is:

1. Searchable
  2. Sortable
  3. Viewable in Icon and List views
  4. Full of helpful metadata columns such as 'Video/Audio Usage'
  5. Foolproof in that the original sequence can be deleted without losing any created subclips

Given these advantages, why only allow us to store modified clips in Sequences? Please fix this by allowing users to Drag&Drop clips from the Timeline to the Project Window while preserving all of their modifications (effects, keyframes, motion settings and/or markers).

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 3:11 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek
    Comments?  Ideas?  Please share!

As it has already been discussed in this thread (and duplicated threads are not allowed in Adobe Forums), the aforementioned feature request is mainly based on the false statement that an editor can either store raw clips in the Project panel or modified clip in the timeline. That's false because an editor can nest modified clip right in the timeline and the nested sequence will be automatically stored in the Project panel, turning into a regular reusable asset.

Unfortunately, the OP, as was also outlined in the duplicated thread, carefully avoids any mentioning this ability, which becomes your second nature if you use After Effects (which is unlike FCP is a part of Adobe Suite).

However, since the OP asks for sharing ideas, I do not hesitate to do this once again. Here is the feature request intended to improve the usability of such PrPro assets as 'Sequences' without breaking existing workflow:

*******Managing Sequences*******

It would be nice if managing capabilities for such assets as 'Sequences' were extended with the following features:

- similar live thumbnail view, which was introduced for footages in CS6. A small 'Sequence' badge in the top left corner of the thumbnail would allow to differentiate between sequences and clips;

- enabled metadata and ability to handle them like for any other regular asset;

- ability to remove empty audio or video tracks completely, i.e. get a sequence as an Audio or Video asset only;

- pop-up dialog box on hitting 'Nest' command, which would allow to give meaning name instead of default 'Nested Sequence XXX', contain 'Delete All Empty Tracks' checkbox and a button for advanced dialog for logging metadata right on a brand new asset creation.

These features would improve an ability to exploit sequences as reusable assets and preserve consistent applications behaviour throughout the Suite instead of breaking existing workflow by inventing new FCP style 'subclip with effects' type of asset. See this discussion in PrPro Forum for some more details:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1204107?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 8:02 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

1. If you're not willing to listen to different opinions, do not publish anything in such places as Forums.

2. Duplicated threads are not allowed in Adobe Forums. Hence, do not duplicate threads on the basis you don't like comments you got.

3. If you really want to improve things, build on what has already been discussed instead of flooding the Forum with duplicated threads with false statements.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 8:53 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek
    Excellent advice!  How about you follow it?

I do tolerate different opinions. I've never suggested you to stop commenting in my threads. It's completely different to your reaction, isn't it?

What part of the fact that my thread is not a duplicate did you not understand?

Show at least one difference.

But why should your idea automatically exclude another?

Where is it declared? I shared my honest opinion as you asked in the original post, and it's in Adobe's power to decide what to implenemt.

If you can give me even just 1 valid, factual reason why FCP-style subclips with effects would break existing workflows, I will gladly retract my FR.

I pointed you out for several times, that nesting (pre-composing) is a natural workflow in Adobe Suite, and your suggestion to invent an additional asset to store a single clip with effects, keyframes. etc. etc. raises more questions than answers: why there should be completely different tools to accomplish exactly the same operation for one clip and for two clips? Do you understand that you should propose identical behaviour for the same operations in both PrPro and AE? Have you ever asked After Effects artists what would they think about your suggestion?

For the last time, chill out man!

That's rather for you. And no exclamation marks needed...

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Carrot.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

There's power in numbers, so how about using this forum to share our best ideas and make it easier for others to add their voice of support?

I think it's a good idea.  I've been storing up a list of features/improvements that I'd like to see added to PP and other programs in the suite.  But I thought it prudent to actually wait until I've used the new versions before posting those ideas for others to copy/paste.  Some of the issues I'd like to see addressed might already have been.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points