Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PSE-10 Functionality With D800 Photos

May 5, 2013 8:25 PM

Tags: #photoshop #elements #10 #compare #d800

I have PSE-10 and a new Nikon D800.  When I shoot photos in RAW mode, neither the View/F11 nor the Compare/F12 functions in PSE-10 will work with the photos.  File sizes are big, at 36MP or 45MB.  When I shoot photos in JPEG mode, the View/F11 function works, but the Compare/F12 function still does not work at all.  I never had any problems with my old PSE-7, nor with photos from my old D300 camera.  Does anyone have any inputs on this issue?  Is PSE-10 incapable of handling photos from the D800?  Please, and help would be great!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 2:54 AM   in reply to KHuffs

Sorry to ask this again but just for the clarification sake, what is the resolution and size of JPEG files? Same question for Camera Raw files?

Nikon D800 is supported from ACR 6.7 update and should work fine on PSE10.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 3:54 PM   in reply to KHuffs

I just tested a D800 file with PSE10 on my Mac and didn't have any issue. My best guess here is that there is a resource issue at hand. How much RAM do you have on this system? How much free hard drive space?

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to Brett N

Could the graphics card driver be an issue?

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 10:27 AM   in reply to KHuffs

Not sure what an FX Raw is, but my file is 43.7 mb. But if the FX means it's some sort of compressed version of the file, thus having a smaller file size, then that is probably the problem. We've had issues in the past with the faux-compressed raw files. Usually, they are have the native resolution your camera shoots at, but the native software has custom interpolation to fill in the gaps. But the information in the file passed on to non-native apps (i.e. PSE) is that the full resolution is available and it causes problems with you try to view a large version of the file. PSE may be displaying the embedded thumbnail within the file but you only see trouble when it actually is forced to read the internal structure of the file. Do these images open fine in the Editor?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 8:46 AM   in reply to KHuffs

Wouldn't FX be a property of the camera? So all raw files from this camera would be FX? Hence my initial confusion on what you meant by stating the files were FX raw. Or does this camera support a setting that crops the sensor to DX?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to KHuffs

OK. I don't see anything in the metadata of my file that indicates whether this file is FX or DX. But the Dimentions are 7360x4912. Do FX and DX files have different dimentions (I would imagine they would)?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to KHuffs

That's what I'm trying to find out. What are the dimensions on your FX file? Are they different than mine? If so, I would expect yours to be larger and that would mean mine is DX. Then I'll have to hunt for an FX file from this camera to continue testing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 9:52 AM   in reply to KHuffs

Brett N. -- Was the D800 file you tested an FX RAW image, at > 40MB file size?  Just curious.  Not sure what "resource issue" I could have.  I have 32GB of RAM on my system, and tons of HDD space at > 500GB available.

Since PSE is a 32 bit application, it can only access about 3GB or RAM. So I think we have not ruled out a resource issue yet. I wonder if there are other PSE users who are successfully editing D800 RAW images in PSE10.

I also think this FX versus DX is not relevant to this issue. The size of the image in pixels is what matters, not a piece of metadata.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to KHuffs

Certainly Lightroom will handle D800 images.

I don't see if you have stated in this thread if you are using 64-bit operating system, I assume you are, in which case Lightroom will run as a 64-bit application.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to KHuffs

I've already stated that it works fine in PSE10 and PSE11 on my side. I used a file from a D800 on Windows XP, Windows 7, and Mac OS (10.6 and 10.8). So the question comes back, if I have the same PSE and a similar file, what is different between our computers that could cause this behavior? This is where we get back to talking about resource issues.

Note: I do see enormous performance gains from PSE10 to PSE11

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 3:57 PM   in reply to KHuffs

Yes, I am able to get the full screen and comparison views, and zoom in to see the image at 100%. That is what I mean by it works just fine. It's slow with such huge files, files half that size load more than twice as fast. The screen is blank for a few seconds and I get a wait cursor, but it loads, and once it caches, I can move from one image to another much faster. The sad thing is that my machines are much less beefy and work. The performance is the worst on my XP machine, which is 32-bit and only has 2 GB of RAM. The Win7 machine is much faster, it's 64-bit and I think has 4 GB of RAM.

As for resources, your video card doesn't figure into the senario at all. The amount of RAM is important, but so is the speed of the RAM and the speed of the bridge accessing the RAM. Also, do you know what the size of your OS paging file is? How much free space do you have on your system drive? Has it been defragged recently? Do you have other software running (hidden in the background)?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2013 10:11 AM   in reply to KHuffs

That is a pretty beefy system, way out classes my three year old laptop or even by two month old laptop. So it shouldn't be a hardware resource issue. However, it may be something about how the system is allocating and distributing those resources.

You have 119 GB free on your system hard drive, which is good. Your secondary hard drive doesn't figure into this (unless you've configured your OS to use it). So of the 119 free space, 32.7 GB is allocated to the OS at startup. So we are down by that much at least. Other applications running could be allocating their own space when they launch, though I don't know for sure. Whenever resources come into question, it is best to make sure you free up as much as possible, starting with making sure other applications are not sharing or conflicting with what is available.

As a test, I'd suggest following the instructions here and retrying: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/disable-startup-items-servic es-windows.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 11:58 AM   in reply to Brett N

I was having the same issues as KHuffs and came across this thread.  Brett N's comments regarding Raw compression gave me a "lightbulb" and I went to my D800 and checked.  Sure enough, I had Raw compression on (BTW, this is a seperate choice in the camera menu from the "image quality" selection where you choose Raw, jpeg, etc. You'll find it in the shooting menu under "NEF (RAW) recording").  I will try shooting over the next few days with compression off and see if that fixes the problem.  I will post a follow up when I know more.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points