Skip navigation
James M B
Currently Being Moderated

Site with templates does not open (Was: dreamweaver cs6 for mac)

May 6, 2013 10:58 PM

I downloaded a site that uses templates and the files do not open properly. I also downloaded a site that does not use templates and all of those files load correctly. What should I do differently for the site using templates?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to James M B

James M B wrote:

the files do not open properly.

Hi Jim -

Sorry to say that your post is not very informative. 

Are you using a DW template, or just a model template for a website?

What view(s) are you using and what are you seeing?

If you are serious about a quick, accurate answer, please find some web space you can use, and upload all necessary files, and post a link for us to assist you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 8:55 AM   in reply to James M B

Some web browsers will not open a .dwt file (.dwt stands for Dreamweaver Template). You can change the associations for files in your operating system, by right (or [control]-) clicking on the file and choosing "Get Info" from the popup dialog window.

Then, in the "Get Info" window, choose "Open With" and pick the application you wish associated with the file.

Also, within Dreamweaver, you can set up what web browsers will preview a file by going to Preferences>Preview in Browser and choosing the browser(s) you want to preview your documents in. You can also pick which browser you wish to have as your primary. That will usually be [option]-[F12] to preview.

If you are working with Macintosh, you ought to download and install the Big Three browsers: Safari (which came with your Mac) Firefox and Google's Chrome.

Microsoft has chosen to quit producing Internet Exploiter for Macintosh, despite the fact that lots of people develop websites on Macintosh (and they whine when their browser is ill-supported). I did find that they're offering something for Macintosh, but it's virtualization and I have not tested it.

You need to test for IE7, 8. 9 and assume 10 is going to be compliant (though it's probably not). The Microsoft solution may not let you test all three.

Since Apple, Mozilla and Google provide automatic updates, you don't need to support old versions of those three browsers. And Nancy O. tends to suggest that ending support for older versions of Microsoft's browser is worth not doing. I, personally have one website that I have decided to not support versions below Internet Exploder 9 and another that uses the same feature is under development.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 2:41 PM   in reply to James M B

Thanks for the additional information...

Since it's OK on a PC, this unfortunately, this sounds like a MAC issue so I can not help further.

May I suggest you post a link to the online page and hopefully someone with your version can shed some light.

Best of luck

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 11:30 AM   in reply to James M B

This has nothing to do with whether or not you are using OS X or Windows.

And a Dreamweaver template is, simply, an HTML document …unless it isn't.

You can make a template out of a .php, .asp or ColdFusion document, you know. And, if the document identifies itself as such, you may just see code in a browser window.

Though, if you have Dreamweaver set to show code only (and not design view) you could also get this.

This is not a Mac problem. Documents on web servers are either HTML and CSS or are server-side documents or JavaScript documents. Again, show us the website and we'll try to help you more.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 11:52 AM   in reply to mhollis55

mhollis55 wrote:

if you have Dreamweaver set to show code only (and not design view) you could also get this.

This is not a Mac problem.

Hi Mark

I did not suggest some kind of universal MAC problem. Just that the OP's MAC is the only place the problem is showing up, and I don't use a MAC.

I think you may be on to something with the code settings possibility.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 12:08 PM   in reply to Ken Binney

Ken, we should talk…

Fact is, I could have you un and running with Dreamweaver on a Mac in about three minutes. It is, essentially the same application. Adobe hewed to the same general user interface across both platforms. Furthermore, all other common applications are so similar that you'd think you were on a PC, save for the context-switched top menu and, what I consider to be easier management of the system and its health.

Microsoft has done a remarkable job of emulating the Mac OS (with very few minor exceptions) for 23 years in terms of look and feel. You'd feel right at home, using Dreamweaver on a Mac.

With respect to the OP, I find that, if I co not tell Dreamweaver to preview a page with mixed (server-side and HTML) code in a web browser and click on a link to a mixed page, the browser will simply display the code.

And, of course, Dreamweaver can show only code.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 3:51 PM   in reply to James M B

What is in the Template?  This will tell me if you require a local testing server or not.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 5:57 PM   in reply to James M B

By everything you are describing to us, I am becoming convinced you have server-side code mixed in to those templated pages and that is the problem. You're saying the code, not the page displays—that's a red flag. And now you're saying that you think you might need a local server—that's another.

You may need to create a local testing server to see those pages. You can do that on your Mac using something called MAMP.

Again, nothing is wrong with your Mac or Dreamweaver here, it's just expecting something you don't have configured.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 3:19 PM   in reply to James M B

Think of it this way. 

Local Site Folder = a folder with all your site files on your local computer hard drive.    C:\YourSiteName

Remote Site = a commercial web server where you host your public site.

http://YourSiteName.com

Local Testing server = a server on your hard drive for purposes of previewing and testing pages that contain server-side code.  

C:\xampp\htdocs\YourSiteName

C:\localhost\YourSiteName

From all you've described so far, your Template probably contains code that requires a server to parse the content.  For Mac, install either XAMPP or MAMP.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points