Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Word game

May 6, 2013 9:11 AM

Hi I am in the early stages of building a word game where a word will be displayed on the screen and then letters would fall down the screen. The player would be required to click on the correct letters to build the word that appears at the bottom of the screen.

I have made the letters in Illustrator. Each letter on a different layer. My question is - how do I BEST import them into Flash to appear in the game?

As a test I imported one png, I made it a movie clip, I made its own class as file to have an alpha and a path to move on.

I've set it to start moving when the timer starts in the constructor as file. I also added an event listener to say letter "a" was clicked on. I still have to remove it from the stage when it passes certain x or Y co-ordinates and loop the behaviour untill the timer has run out.

I want many letters to glide over the screen and start at random times while the timer is running.

Do I keep going in the same way with the other letters - each having their own class as file and the manipulating them in the constructor as file.

I have never worked with an array of anything, but I think I might have to learn how to do arrays with the letter tiles?

this is but a small part of my game, but I think its best to ask/learn about specific sections one at a time.

Screenshot.jpg

Message was edited by: buggoop

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to Charine -FB buggoop

I don't know that you need to create a class file yourself.  If you want to assign alpha and a path I think those elements could be defined dynamically.  YOu may just have to assgn a class id to each moviclip in the library and then use that to dynamically create an instance.... Flash will automatically create the class for you in that case.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2013 5:59 PM   in reply to Charine -FB buggoop

If you need to have specific locations and property assignments for the different letters, then creating each class yourself manually is probably your only course of action.  But if they could be assigned dynamically, then you would only have to go as far as creating the movieclips and assignoing them a class linkage.  Flash will create the class code/file and your document or constructor class cvould deal with assigning the properties.

THe short version of that is, you are probably okay the way you are going.  I realize I'm a day or better late in getting back to your posting, so hopefully I am not recommending against some change in your approach that might have arisen.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points