Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Wondering if it would be worth it for me to switch to the creative cloud

May 6, 2013 10:20 AM

I got CS 6 around christmas time, but see that LR5 is going to be coming out soon, as well as rumors that CS7 wont be too much further behind. I checked and I am elgible for the upgrade price for a year. I use PS and LR strictly for photography, and not sure if I would get any use with any of the other creative cloud programs (not real familiar with them). I know no one can speak specifically about me, just looking for some general oppinions.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 10:30 AM   in reply to Dragoro21

Depends on what you do and what you need. If your camera is already supported, you probably won't gain any additional benefits from CC. That only becomes relevant once you either start using the other programs as well or are after using the features that make use of the online connection like storage or the recently revealed "Lightroom" for iPad that will sync RAW settings and other stuff via the cloud. Then again of course there will be the new deblur filter in PS CS7 and no doubt many otehr things that could be useful... For the most part it really is still entirely up to you to make up your mind...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 10:33 AM   in reply to Dragoro21

Depends somewhat on your use level.  The downside to the Cloud is that if you stop subscription you have nothing.  The upside is you get all the latest new features included.

If you use them daily it may be worth it.  If you use them once or twice a month probably not.  It used to be the upgrade cycle was about 1.5 years, but think that cycle is going to be shorter so Adobe can make more money on updates or force them into the Cloud.

They do have a single licence for $20/month.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to Dragoro21

Unless I am wrong and I really wish I was, Adobe just announced they are going totally Creative Cloud, no more permanent licenses.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 12:22 PM   in reply to gener7

Actually they anounced they are going to continue selling CS6 suites & individual products but new features and functionality will only be added to the Creative Cloud versions of application...

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 12:35 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Thanks for clearing it up Jeff.  I'm also getting late word that CS6 will also get ACR 8, and license holders of CS3 and above can have PS CC for just 9.99/mo a la carte. So not as bad as I thought.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 6, 2013 12:37 PM   in reply to Dragoro21

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

The way I read the FAQ it says the last pertetual licence PS will be CS6.  So when CS7 comes out it will be on Cloud only?  Correct?

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 1:20 PM   in reply to Curt Y

So when CS7 comes out it will be on Cloud only?  Correct?

I think the days of CS-(insert number here) are over.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 1:54 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Based on what I've been able to determine, at this point it looks like I'll be staying with PS CS6, at least until Adobe comes out with something I can't live without.  The improvements in PS CS7 don't look like they are worth $240/year.  I just hope they don't decide to force LR into this model too.

Adobe should consider a hobbiest license level for photographers as well.  I know a bunch of people in my camera club are still running older versions of PS because they can't justify the cost of upgrading to the latest.  As a hobbiest I don't do this professionally, and it's not unusual for me to to only use PS maybe once or twice a month.  That's really hard to justify that kind of money for something I don't use that often.

I may have to check out some of the other software that's on the market. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 1:56 PM   in reply to charles badland

If CS6 is last perpetual licence version then I will be CS6 until I die.  I spend more time answering forum questions than using photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 2:09 PM   in reply to Curt Y

I think you are right, I won't be going cloud so that will mean I will cease coming to these forums. It does say that updates will be done while CS6 is still selling but will updates be done to Bridge? Adobe do not want to acknowledge all the reported bugs, and none have been fixed even those reported before CS6 was released.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 6, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to Curt Y

You know you're going to have to keep up to date with the latest and greatest to be able to answer the latest and greatest questions, right? 

Looks like it will be called Photoshop CC 14.0.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to charles badland

> I think the days of CS-(insert number here) are over

This makes me angry, and it looks like I'm going to give up on Adobe... They won't be getting any more of my money.

I currently have Adobe Photoshop CS6, and have used Photoshop since at least Photoshop 6.

I neither want nor need a 'Cloud based' Photoshop, and I'm sure not going to be forced onto the 'you never own anything' renting treadmill. Once you're on it, you have absolutely nothing if you ever try to leave.

And I'm not buying this being about 'helping' users. It's surely about helping Adobe's income stream...

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 2:51 PM   in reply to Dragoro21

Well, I'll tell you: I have the CS5 design premium suite (perpetual license) and I also have a Creative Cloud membership. I enjoy using Creative Cloud tremendously. It really is that great. You get the Adobe community, all kinds of training, a Behance portfolio, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. You get to try all of the Adobe design and web products at your leisure, too, and unlike the perpetual licensed products, you can install it on both Mac and PC. 

But I use more than one application. If I only used one or two tools, I'm not sure CC would be worth it. In fact, I'm not even sure an upgrade would've been worth it, since a good chunk of the basic functionality has stayed the same. You have to ask yourself how you use your product, has the older version served you well up to now, and if you had the newer version or CC, how would you use it. It's not worth it for some people and for other people, it's worth every penny.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,943 posts
    May 24, 2010
    May 6, 2013 8:22 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt Y :  If CS6 is last perpetual licence version then I will be CS6 until I die.  I spend more time answering forum questions than using photoshop.

But you are so good at it Curt, as are Noel etc. etc.

Well, I never thought they would dare to do it, and definitely not any time soon.  I suspect I'll also stay with my CS6 apps.  Here's a thought...  They say 'necessity is the mother of invention'.  There are going to be so many people rejecting the Cloud, perhaps third party add-ons will become more available to duplicate some of the new features soon after they become available in Cloud versions.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 8:34 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Remember, you'll only be able to stick with CS6 by keeping on using an OS that doesn't break CS6. At the ever-accelerating rate of change in IT, that's not going to be for long.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 8:36 PM   in reply to Dragoro21

What a pity.  I am a hobbyist and have been updating my photoshop every second version.  There is no way I can or want to justify $360/year and really don't like Adobe forcing the issue.  Sorry Adobe but I guess you don't really want my little bit of business.  I am out.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 8:59 PM   in reply to Dragoro21

For CS3+ users, Adobe rolled out PS CC at 9.99/month for a year. That's $120 introductory.  That's the Extended version, not the Standard. Then it will go to $20. Since it's the Adobe product I use the most...I'm ok with that.

Two activations: One for Mac and one for the PC. No need to maintain two separate licenses. Add to that other languages without additional licenses.

The program is on your PC or Mac. No need for it to be contacting Adobe everytime. Depending on the subscription, you can go 30 to 99 days without connecting to the Internet, and even then...you can use a cafe hotspot if you don't have regular service.

There's more, but even this is enough for me as a single user. Yep, I went for it. Run nice on the Macbook.

Gene

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 9:33 PM   in reply to gener7

gener7 wrote:

For CS3+ users, Adobe rolled out PS CC at 9.99/month for a year. That's $120 introductory.  That's the Extended version, not the Standard. Then it will go to $20.…

$120 per year sounds good, until you realize it's only for twelve months.  After that, it's $240 per year forever, or you don't have a perpetual license anymore.

At its Adobe MAX conference in Los Angeles today, Adobe announced Photoshop CC, the next version of its flagship photo editing software. Unlike version that came before it, Photoshop CC will only be offered through Adobe’s Creative Cloud subscription plan.

This marks a huge shift in the direction of the company. Adobe says it plans to focus all of its software development efforts on its Creative Cloud product from here on out. The Creative Suite (CS) is being rebranded to Creative Cloud (CC) as part of this shift.

In other words, the Creative Suite line is coming to an end, and Creative Suite 6 will be the last in the series. Gone are the days in which you purchase a boxed copy of Adobe software.

Photoshop CC will have a number of upgrades over Photoshop CS6. Major ones are a new image deblurring/sharpening feature, and new Camera Raw capabilities. The new program merges features that were previously found in Photoshop standard and Photoshop Extended.

Read more at http://petapixel.com/2013/05/06/adobe-photoshop-cc-subscription-only-s hake-reduction-better-raw/#lUUhapiwsBsb1qDC.99

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 9:42 PM   in reply to gener7

On further reflection, who or what can get away with this tyrannical pricing scheme? 

Only a monopoly, like a public utility company.

I see years or decades of litigation in the courts over this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 9:47 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

Well, I never thought they would dare to do it, and definitely not any time soon.  I suspect I'll also stay with my CS6 apps.  Here's a thought...  They say 'necessity is the mother of invention'.  There are going to be so many people rejecting the Cloud, perhaps third party add-ons will become more available to duplicate some of the new features soon after they become available in Cloud versions.

This is so totally unnecessary.

All Adobe has to do is develop a pricing scheme that suits the casual user.  But they would rather leave us on the side of the road.

I don't see why Adobe can't take a page from Valve's Steam and just allow us to buy a perpetual digital version, that gets bugs fixes for a time then doesn't get any further updates... but still WORKS.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 10:08 PM   in reply to DavidP2304

For those of us who upgrade Photoshop every product cycle of 18 months, we are being handed a 50% price increase by Adobe -- $360 in monthly payments vs. the old one-time $199 upgrade price (for standard version). Correct my math if it's wrong.

Then there is the question of whether Adobe will be as motivated to R&D new features, now that the feature-driven upgrade process has ended. Once you go with CC, they got you, because if your monthly payments stop, you have nothing. What is their motivation (i.e. profit incentive) to keep producing new features? That process could soon fall into the same rut that product fixes have been in for years with Adobe -- rare.

And pardon my cynicism, but the "low introductory prices" and "promised new features" smack of how illegal drug marketing works. Low cost or free tricks for now, but once you're hooked...

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 10:14 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

gener7 wrote:

For CS3+ users, Adobe rolled out PS CC at 9.99/month for a year. That's $120 introductory.  That's the Extended version, not the Standard. Then it will go to $20.…

$120 per year sounds good, until you realize it's only for twelve months.  After that, it's $240 per year forever, or you don't have a perpetual license anymore.

I've traded Photoshop Standard for Photoshop Extended both Mac and PC platforms and just about any interface language I need. That's way less than buying separate licenses.

I spend more than $20 on coffee per month and $24 a month on my lynda.com subscription.

If I were starting out, I would need $400-$700 initial layout just for standard. That's gone now. Updates are optional, so I can hold back in case there is a problem.

Doesn't seem too shabby to me.

Gene

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 2:36 AM   in reply to Greg Bohn

Every 18 months I purchase the upgrade from Adobe mainly for ACR for my photography, hate LR!  Looks like Adobe will be losing a small but loyal customer or maybe a lot of small loyal customers.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 3:18 AM   in reply to armalite35

Very disappointed in Adobe. CC has been out for a while. If those p0eople using non cloud versions wanted to switch, they would. I really don't care about being able to Tweet or upload to Facebook directly from Photoshop.

So far I've noticed a majority of comments online are negative to Adobes Cloud only policy.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 4:36 AM   in reply to Dragoro21

There isn't going to be a CS7. From now on, it's Cloud or nothing. Read THIS and weep.

--OB

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to gener7

> I spend more than $20 on coffee per month and $24 a month on my lynda.com subscription.

That sounds like 'used car dealer' talk :-)

That confuses the issues. Are you saying you are willing to pay whatever Adobe asks as long as you can afford it? And that still means you're possibly paying a substantial increase despite whether you personally can still afford the increase.

Many people are getting a worse deal than they had regardless. People who make a living using Photoshop could pass along the increased cost, but hobbyists and part time users aren't going to be able to as easily 'justify' spending the extra money.

Previously you had a choice of either using the 'cloud' offerings (if it suited you), or buying a 'permanent' licence. Depending on your situation, it either did or did not make sense for a given individual.

Now because of Adobe's capricious marketing decision, you only have one choice. For many this is either pay more (and be locked in sooner or later) or leave.

And once Adobe has enough people locked in, what is their motivation to improve the product? Before, they needed to provide enough 'value add' to get people to upgrade. Now, not so much...

Adobe appears to be more interested in pumping up the revenue stream that simply providing a good product that falls or rises on its own merits...

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:49 AM   in reply to Greg Bohn

There are many business where the CC is a good solution, mainly for budgeting purposes. But for most individuals this is a bad decision. Adobe could have kept both options in play, ( CC with it's advantages, and perpetual license with its advantages), but it is obvious that Adobe is far more interested in extracting as much $$$ out of its customers as it can. And right now "it can", because it owns the market. But time does not stand still, and competition is a great leveler of the playing field. As other options become available, Paint Shop Pro, Gimp, and the "yet to be created", Adobe may win in the short run, but loose in the end.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 12:34 PM   in reply to Dragoro21

I will be sticking with the CS6 suite for as long as it will run. I have been on the upgrade path since version 4, but it stops here for me. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 7, 2013 12:48 PM   in reply to ArtFox

I can appreciate everyone wanting to appear resolved about not moving to the subscription model, but...

You have no idea what "gee whiz" new technology is going to make you crave the latest and greatest (and I don't just mean software features).  It's not hard to imagine some time down the line a new camera is invented that you just HAVE to have, and the version of Camera Raw to support it runs only in Photoshop CC.  Yes, there's the DNG converter route, potentially, but...  The convenience is not there.

What do you do when the big companies release an OS that Photoshop CS6 will no longer work in?

There's always Photoshop Elements, which is remaining on the Perpetual Licensing model.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

…There's always Photoshop Elements, which is remaining on the Perpetual Licensing model…

Yup, and that piece of cr@p is overpriced by at least $80 , and Adobe is counting on your realizing that is no choice at all.

Noel Carboni wrote:

…What do you do when the big companies release an OS that Photoshop CS6 will no longer work in?…

As they say in Russian, "Вы не засучить брюки, пока вы не дойдете до реки", or you don't roll up your pants until you get to the river.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 7, 2013 1:09 PM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

You have significant personal experience with trying to live with a non-current version of Photoshop because of system constraints, right?  Please share how well that's gone for you.

As they say in the Deep South, "flood's comin'".

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 1:46 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

…You have significant personal experience with trying to live with a non-current version of Photoshop because of system constraints, right?  Please share how well that's gone for you…

How nice of you to remember, Noel!  I'm flattered. 

Thank you, everything is going fine with my three Mac systems.  Right now I have three dedicated machines:

1.— A Mac Book, literally rescued from the trash, running Snow Leopard 10.6.8, which allows me to run ACR 7.4 on Ps CS6.  CS5 is also on that system, which is pretty much a dedicated Ps/ACR system;

2.— A pretty fast PPC G5 Quad running Tiger 10.4.11 with 16 GB of RAM on which I run Photoshop CS4 on which I do 99.9% of all my Ps work that does not require ACR, and various older versions of Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Professional, MS Office, several web browsers, etc.  No need at all to upgrade any of those.  Other than ACR 7.x, I need no additional functionality beyond what Ps CS4 offers, and it is lightning fast on this machine;

3.— A Dual PPC G4 that can boot directly into Mac OS 9.2, on which I run now-three-decades-old custom software that we have touched on in the past and which cannot be replaced or upgraded but which at the time cost as much as a nice Mercedes S Class sedan costs these days, as well as SCSI hardware (film and large-format scanners) that I could not even dream of being able to afford to replace with modern equivalents.

Other than the physical floor space they occupy, some 6 sq.ft. (3'x2'). as monitors, mouse, tablet and keyboard are shared, they represent no obstacle whatsoever.

What else would you like me to share? 

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to station_two

When Focus Magic for Mac Lion and above is released soon, I don't think the new "CS7" deblur etc will be important.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 7, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to Lundberg02

Apples and oranges, Lundberg.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    May 7, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to station_two

So it sounds like you're saying the very latest Camera Raw has been the one thing that has been necessary for you, while generally speaking you're working on older versions of Photoshop with success for everything else.

That's good input to this discussion, I think.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points