Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge keeps crashing on me.

May 6, 2013 10:51 AM

It's very disconcerting. Bridge is continually crashing on me. I open up a folder with a lot of images in it in Bridge and it just crashes. This can go on 5 or 6 times until I just give up. Any ideas? If I reinstall it, using Creative Cloud, I guess I have to uninstall it first. Then, I have to re-install either InDesign or Illustrator, I forget which. So, because of that, I'll need to unintall Illustrator or InDesign, too. Right?

Thanks.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

An unistall rarely solves problems.  But before an solutions can be offered we need to know a little more.

WHat OS?  How much RAM?  Is your video driver up to date?  Do you have the latest version of Bridge installed?  (click on Help - updates).

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

With a Mac the video drivers are in the OS updates. 

If it is truly crashing look at the crash report.  Copy and paste the top part showing the basic settings and then text of any crashed threads.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 6, 2013 3:11 PM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

I'm on a beautiful iMac, latest generation, OSX 10.8.3. The latest Creative Cloud apps. I've got 32gB of RAM

Assuming you also have enough free space on your disk (at least 10 %) the specs should be sufficient. Try starting bridge holding down option key and choose reset preferences and purge central cache, then try again.

If no luck delete both Bridge cache and plist file from  the user library 9hidden by default, use menu go with option key to reveal)

Quit Bridge and go to:

user/ library/ caches / Adobe/ Bridge CS6/ cache. inhere delete both the plug in and cache folder

same library/preferences inhere find and delete the com.adobebridge5.plist and restart bridge holding down again option key with reset prefs.

If still no success the crash report might be an option.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

That is a good start.  Take 1/2 of the files and move to another directory.  Test and see if either folder causes a crash.  In the one that does divide that in half and repeat until you locate guilty party. 

You only included the first 2 lines of text in the crashed thread, but this usuallly indicates a basic conflict with the OS.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 7, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

I moved that folder from a Windows server where we've had it for yeasrs to an external drive on my Mac, a Thunderbolt drive--thinking that that would be more stable

First use Finder to copy the content to a newly created folder and try again, sometimes folders get corrupted.

If not follow the half rules Curt provided.

You should have a Bridge 5 (the version that is included in CS6) plist file in you user library preferences folder. If not you don't have a default install or do you use Bridge over a network?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 7, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

No. I do not have the Bridge plist file on my Mac. I've checked agin with Spotlight.

Funny enough Spotlight does not find it ever (as Spotlight is known for not finding anything in the best way…)

Use Easy Find (Devon: http://www.devontechnologies.com/products/freeware.html )

this is freeware and has the option to look in packages and hidden files.

As said, the user library is hidden by default since OSX 10.7.

You can Google for an easy terminal command to reveal it or use finder menu Go with option key. When you have the user library visible it should be in the Preferences folder

user (your username/ library/ preferences/ com.adobe.bridge5.plist

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

You need to believe Omke that the file is on your machine.  Have seen many Mac users that swear they do not have it.  But it is a hidden file, and remember there is more than one library on a Mac.  Believe one library is hidden.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

Glad that you found the file, for the next person how did you finally do that?

You are now back to post #8 to isolate which file it is.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 7, 2013 2:50 PM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

I found it! Yay! So, I'm going to delete it now and then open Bridge with my Option key. I'll let you know. Thanks.

Remember that if you back up and copy same content to newly formatted drive again chances are a corrupted folder stays a corrupted folder.

Here are some thoughts, Either the folders from the previous server are corrupt, or they contain hidden cache files that don't match or interfere with current Bridge or your central cache is functioning wrong.

As said before, the user library is hidden per OSX 10.7 but easy to reveal. I gave you the correct path to both plist and cache file before in one my earlier posts.

If their are no hidden files in the problem folders and you did copy the tiff files to a new empty folder and tried again without luck you have to consider to delete the central cache and plist file manually.

This means you have to recache the lot again but if you are not sure just move the Bridge Cache outside of the user library try again and if it did not help you can quit Bridge again and replace the old files in their original location to get your former state back.

It is no rocket science, just simple replacing or removing files. Both plist file and cache that have been deleted will be automatically replaced with new, empty ones as per factory default after Bridge is restarted.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:51 PM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

1000 images should make no difference.  Some have 10x that amount in a folder, unless it is the size in mb.  Best to limit folders to under 3-4k to make things run well. 

By dividing it up it had to rebuild cache, perhaps one thumbnail was corrupt.  Glad it is working.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

Apple has chosen to put the library and files in a hidden location.  So difficult to find.

Are you using some other program to read and or write to these files?  You are introducing an error someplace as it worked fine and then did not.  Do all the thumbs show correctly?  If any just show generic then that file is corrupt.

Look at the file names closely.  Anything after a dot is considered an extension.  So if you have xxxx.october.jpeg it will look for the october extension.  There are also other characters of the OS that are restricted that can cause problems.

Are you still getting the crashed thread 0?  If so post thread 0, the one above only shows the title and 2 lines.

Also, run the permission and disk check utility again.

Do you use any registry cleaners like MacSweeper?  THis has been known to delete good files as well resulting in need to reinstall the OS.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

Looks like MacKeeper is even worse.  Apple community says do not use as it is malware.  Can de-stabilize your operating system.  https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3691

Will see if I can locate thread on how to find file.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

If you are crashing on every thread it is not any one application, it is in the OS,  in my opinion.  If there is an Apple fourm might as there why you crash on every thread.  Seems like that would be some low level OS problem.

You have had continual problems with this as I saw your thread months ago where you solved this problem with a reinstall of Adobe.  That is normally only necessary when a program file gets deleted or contaminated.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

Adobe tech people are trained to answer the routine questions.  Probably none can read crash reports.  You would have to get an engineer to to that.

You want to look at

Date/Time:       2013-05-07 08:44:39.792 -0400

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.8.3 (12D78)

Report Version:  10

Interval Since Last Report:          16865 sec

Crashes Since Last Report:           5

then this tell you how many threads and which ones crashed.

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 21, 2013 2:50 PM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

Well, after many phone calls to the Adobe tech support team in India, one would think that someone would've looked at these crash logs

I agree with Curt on that

It all sounds like a system problem to me.

And yes, you should have the plist file in your user library. Searching with Spotlight does not reveal it. Try Easy Find (a free app from Devon) if you want to use find.

Better use Finder, then menu Go with option key, this will bring the user library visible in the list of the pull down menu.

Quit Bridge and in this user library go to preferences folder. Inhere is a file called 'com.adobe.bridge5.plist'. Drag this file to the trash.

In same user library go to folder caches / Adobe / Adobe Bridge CS6.  Inhere are a plug in and a folder called Cache.

Drag both items manual outside the user library, preferable to the trash.

Al deleted files will refresh themselves with new empty and fresh files after you restarted Bridge. Restart Bridge holding down option key and choose refresh preferences also.

Then try again.

If still in problems create a new user account just for testing and see if Bridge works inhere. In this case it definitively is a user account related problem and you could try an official uninstall with the use of the Adobe Cleaner Tool or use the recovery disk to repair your user account.

I also would stay far away from anti virus and especially MacKeeper. Finding malware is no problem, knowing if this malware would harm you is another subject…

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2013 6:20 PM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

If you continue as normal, and find you again have problems, think back to what you did in the days before.  Did you run a virus scan, run registry cleaner, etc.  Would be a red flag if it worked before, and not after.  Visit these files frequently to monitor this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 1:20 PM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

You need to re-read post #29 about crash logs.  Which threads? Post the crashed threads.  Adobe tech people only address the commom issues.  You would have to have crash reports on hand and then escalate up the supervisor line until you get one willing to consult someone that can read it.  Sometimes I can pick out the error, but if error is deep in the OS will be lost.  Apple forum is another avenue perhaps.

An Adobe engineer who write a lot of the PS code says that an application can not crash the OS.  It is likely a driver, bad memory, bad motherboard, or OS errors.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2013 7:15 PM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

It is getting frustrating giving you advice on crash reports as you seem to be blinded by the text.  As in the first time you posted a partial crash report the only thread crashing is Thread 0.  No other thread is listed as crashing so no need to report those.  You can tell this by the Crashed Thread line and also by looking at each Thread where it says Thread X, and does not say crashed.

Here is the key listed at top of post.

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Do a web search for this error you will find other programs have same issue.  Crash on a particlular file.  THe big suspect is dust causing overheating of motherboard and or memory sticks.

In Thread 0,  line 11-17 it looks like Apple is calling for call back function and can not find it.  It then goes in a loop and finally quits. (not a programmer just taking a wild guess at what lines mean). 

So bottom line I would get to the Apple Forum and see if anyone can give you clues as to what this means.  It may involve reinstalling the operating system but you want conformation before doing that.

Report back if you find solution.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 23, 2013 1:15 AM   in reply to Peter Britt Bailey

Sorry, but, you agree with Curt on what? The crash log? Adobe tech people, the so-called advanced ones over in india, should be able to converse with an engineer regarding problems like these.

Maybe I was not clear in this one but Adobe Help is outsourced to India and while the 'bean counters' at Adobe seem very satisfied with this (due to cutting costs) and the people in India might be friendly and good willing this practice has proved to be not ideal to put it very mildly.

Regarding your specs at the bottom of the report (I almost know nothing about how to read a crash report btw) you have a very recent iMac with high specs and a lot of the options maxed out.

Therefor (without knowing your work environment) I find it hard to believe that dust (the first option Curt provided) would be the cause of your problems.

However the loop theory Curt provided might be very valid but I really don't know about that stuff.

There is an other thing that made me curious. You seem to have more disks than default and amongst them you do use the 3 TB Fusion drive.

Could you explain a bit more about your setup?

The SSD part is 'only' 128 GB and how did you install your system and applications on this.

Personally I have no experience with the Fusion drive. I use a Mac Pro with a Mercury Excelsior in the PCI slot. This is an SSD with 960 GB and I am able to store my system, applications and a lot of other stuff on it without problems.

But what have you installed on your SSD part of the fusion drive? The system and applications would be no problem but if you have also your music library, default picture and movies folders (with iPhoto and iMovie and maybe also Aperture) on it and Bridge central cache (by default in user library) things can get pretty large and storage problems can also cause problems due to not having enough free space left.

Can you specify this?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points