Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

RIP Fireworks 1998 - 2013

May 6, 2013 12:25 PM

"Due to this overlap and as well as our change in our product development focus, we have decided not to update Fireworks to CC and instead will focus on developing new tools to meet our customers needs."

http://blogs.adobe.com/fireworks/2013/05/the-future-of-adobe-fireworks .html

Just not our Fireworks' customers' needs.

Nice while it lasted.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 4:10 PM   in reply to John Dunning

What a terrible shame. I've been expecting it, however. It was a grand ride. Keep well, John Dunning. You are very much appreciated.

Linda Rathgeber - Nicholls

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 7:38 PM   in reply to Linda Nicholls

Shame indeed - it was a pleasure being a part of a great application.

Muse has potential but its built on Air and its 'canvas' stage does not make it extendable friendly.

Darrell

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 1:50 AM   in reply to John Dunning

I've been using FW since version 1 and never looked back. It will be interesting to see if any competitors will now try to release an FW-clone. In the past years I have seen a sudden surge in my vicinity of web/UI-designers switching to FW, so there's definitely a market for a lean, user-friendly and dedicated design program like FW. Anyone smart enough to make use of this (sad) situation would have an eager FW-user base waiting for them. In any case, out of respect for their clients who were using FW on a daily basis, the least Adobe could do is sell it or make it open source.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    May 8, 2013 1:55 PM   in reply to John Dunning

Okay, so what is replacing Fireworks?!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 20, 2013 4:46 PM   in reply to John Dunning

Add you voice (comment) to this...

http://blogs.adobe.com/fireworks/2013/05/the-future-of-adobe-fireworks .html#comment-4658

Over 1000 replies so far opposing Adobe on this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 12, 2013 2:58 PM   in reply to John Dunning

This sucks. I've been using Fireworks before it was bought by Adobe. I think it is a much better tool for web design than PS or Illy. I was hoping, and I know this was a stretch, that it would be available for Linux one day as I really wanted to get rid of using Microsoft alltogether. This does come at a real good time for me though as I actually have been developing an open source project that could possibly replace Fireworks. Maybe not as a graphics program right now but def as a web protoyping and mock up program.

It is called Meldbox: An alternative to Fireworks

http://meldbox.net

I modeled the userability and interface right from Fireworks. Meldbox def needs a ways to go before becoming a true replacement but it has a lot of features. I myself use it for app design at my workplace now. In fact, I recently did an iPad web app demonstration of a portal I've been developing using Meldbox and everyone loved it.

RIP Firworks, you will be missed...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)