Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Perpetual licenses are dead

May 6, 2013 12:57 PM

Tags: #adobe #creative #suite #licensing #cs6

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57582735-92/adobe-kills-creative-suit e-goes-subscription-only/

I disagree that this move is that popular. I would rather have a perpetual license so that I can update the applications while I am not in the middle of a project.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to mhollis55

This is an interesting development.   Creative Cloud updates are optional. You don't have to accept them in the middle of a project any more than you have to accept updates to Perpetual Licensed software.  Do it when you're ready.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to mhollis55

An unsurprising (some would say expected) move but interesting timing. I've been expecting this for 12 months.

However I do wonder how many perpetual license users will stay on CS6 or look elsewhere.

I would rather have a perpetual license so that I can update the applications while I am not in the middle of a project.

Not sure why this myth seems to hang around. You can always update whenever you're ready. It's your choice.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html#how-works

As a Creative Cloud member, am I required to install an upgrade to a desktop application when it becomes available?

No. You are not required to install any new version of the desktop applications available in Creative Cloud. You can continue using your current version of the product as long as you have an active membership. You have flexibility on when you install a new release to take advantage of new product features, if you choose to do so.

The downside of updating seems to be when Adobe springs unwelcome Trojan-horse-style surprises on unsuspecting users.

e.g. Photoshop's VRAM requirements were hard coded to min 512MB to access 3D features. In the previous dot release, 3D worked fine with less than that. Similarly, Adobe interfered with Dreamweaver's Insert menu and disrupted countless workflows doing so.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 2:37 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

The only drawback (barring goofy deprecation/feature addition choices) I see is for those poor souls with 56k connections.

I'm guessing it's near impossible to download the whole enchilada on a dial up.

On the upside, sitting at the coffee shop for a couple hours on the clock doesn't sound too bad either.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 2:43 PM   in reply to mhollis55

Yes - it is now confirmed there will never be a CS7 version you can own properly.

Adobe state - 'While Adobe Creative Suite® 6 products will continue to be available for purchase, Adobe has no plans for future releases of Creative Suite or other CS products.'

So, it seems if you want to upgrade to CS7, the compulsory Cloud rental thing is the only way to go. But if you don't pay one month, you're back to square one.

Enforced popularity of cloud doesn't mean people like its limitations.

Sad day.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 3:12 PM   in reply to Missteach

I think you can lease a Tata Nano for less then the CC subscription

price

[ signature removed by forum host ]

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 3:15 PM   in reply to Al Sparber

Sad day.  I was ready to upgrade my web software from CS5.5 to CS7 but now they won't get a penny out of me.  I'm not renting software.  Sorry Adobe, I guess we're done.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 3:18 PM   in reply to John Waller

Feels like this was timed precisely to coincide with Adobe MAX Con in Los Angeles this week as well the release of CS7.

I think this solves some of the logistic issues that sprang up with maintaining multiple versions of CS6 Suite.  At least CS7 will promote people to a more level playing field: either you're on the Cloud or you're not.

Someone in another forum asked how all this would effect ACE Exams.  Good question.  How do you build certification exams for products that keep changing?

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    May 7, 2013 7:15 AM   in reply to mhollis55

I need a little help from those here that know. Since Adobe is going to the cloud only, where are files stored? I have Photoshop documents, Indesign document, Illustrator documents and websites.

Can I store these files locally (as I have a large amount of files) and I guess if so, they are just dust when I let my subscription expires. Sorry, but I am a bit confused on this topic.

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to mhollis55

We use the "Master Suite" and are definitely not going for this cloud deal! Already looking for alternatives.

It's like changing the rules during the match and leaving your costumers with no choice.

I don't want any more monthly costs and like to make the decision to upgrade (and spend money!) when I am ready for it.

The  deal Adobe comes up with makes you pay a monthly fee for one year (minimum!) so it is no deal at all!

When you consider that we normally skip 2 versions because of the lack of any important updates it is also fare more expensive!

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to mhollis55

And if Adobe "updates" certain things in their video/film applications, they will break the sequence and/or how the effects work.

Hi

When the new CC app is available, you will be able to also download the previous version of a program. So if you require a CS6 version you will be able to download it.

PZ

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to Jim Carpenter

where are files stored?

@Jim,

Wherever you wish.  I keep work files on my local HD, backup drives and for redundancy, I also store some in a Cloud Connection Folder on my desktop which synchs to my Cloud Space.    But the choice of using Cloud Space or not is entirely up to you.  It's not mandatory.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    May 7, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to mhollis55

Getting pricing on moving to CS6 from 5.5 on six systems. I will forgo the cloud for a while, and hopefully until I am no longer here. Buget is tight for next year and if I move to the "not so latest" version, I will have to do it this budget year as I have some technology budget left to spend, but the final call will not be mine.

I have read a lot about this move that Adobe is making, some positive, most negative, but then you always hear the bad and usually the good is quiet. I might be able to reduce the licensing by three since those are for a special project that will be going away.

Change can be scary when you are my age . It used to invigorate me, now it tires me. This will probably be the last Adobe upgrade for this organization and then on to less costly, less featured alternatives.

1. So I understand that once a month there is a license check, and with us, it would be only once a year.
    2. You can store files on the cloud if you choose, or locally.
    3. Software is downloaded on the device and used locally if number one is done.
    4. Not such a big deal and for our special project, the cloud might be better.

Thanks for everyone's response to my concerns, I think I got it now, but probably I will not be getting it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:40 AM   in reply to mhollis55

mhollis55 wrote:

Really? If you're getting this from the folks at Adobe Max, this is good news. I cannot tell you how many times I've had revisions come in that added work due to the fact that I had to rework stuff from scratch because of an upgrade.

Of course one bad thing about Macintosh is that, when Apple updates operating systems, it sometimes prevents you from using a previous version. But that is not an Adobe issue.

Hi

Yes, that it direct from the CC team.

I don't know about DW CS6, but Adobe has also said it will maintain Fireworks CS6, (no longer actively developed) to be compatible with OS updates, and if they are doing that for Fireworks I would think they will also do the same for other products.

CS6 will still be available as a perpetual licence version also.

PZ

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:45 AM   in reply to Jim Carpenter

Jim Carpenter wrote:

Getting pricing on moving to CS6 from 5.5 on six systems. I will forgo the cloud for a while, and hopefully until I am no longer here. Buget is tight for next year and if I move to the "not so latest" version, I will have to do it this budget year as I have some technology budget left to spend, but the final call will not be mine.

Hi Jim

There is a special 'team licensing' version of CC, which works out much cheaper than individual licences for 4 or more users.

I don't have the specific details, but it may be worth checking as one can add/remove CC 'users' as required.

PZ

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:59 AM   in reply to pziecina

Yes.  I was going to suggest you look at Cloud for Teams which has an annual plan of US $69.95/month

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/teams.html

Team Cloud has features which are not available to individual subscribers.

The main difference is being able to activate or deactivate seats as needed without  penalty. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    May 7, 2013 9:41 AM   in reply to Nancy O.

Thanks Nancy, if that was a suggestion for myself. I have looked at that option earlier today and I am still considering it. One more question Nancy and anyone else here:

If we currently use 5.5, is an upgrade to 6 worth the expense if we don't consider the cloud option at this time?

Mark, thanks for your feedback. I kinda see things your way at this point.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to Jim Carpenter

Jim Carpenter wrote:

If we currently use 5.5, is an upgrade to 6 worth the expense if we don't consider the cloud option at this time?

Hi Jim,

I did not think the upgrade from CS5.5 to CS6 offered much in the way of improvements.

However if you are working with html5, css3 and media-querys, then there is a dramatic improvement in this workflow in the new Dw CC, especially for css/media-querys via  the CSS Designer panel.

That's only my personal opinion though.

PZ

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    May 7, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to pziecina

Thanks PZ, I respect your opinion. I just got the price tag for the updates and it's a littler over $2,000 and with things as tight as they are, I probably will wait. I can still "hand code" for htm5 and I haven't played much with media querys as I think there will be a big change coming in that technology. And as far as css3, it's hand codeable also.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 11:52 AM   in reply to mhollis55

mhollis55 wrote:

I am currently hand-coding css3 gradients and would love to see if Dreamweaver actually will show start, stop and end colors.

Live View does. 

The CSS Panel doesn't provide total support for this yet. You still have to input linear-gradient RGBA values & vendor-prefixes manually. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 1:10 PM   in reply to mhollis55

mhollis55 wrote:

OK, we are OT.

But that would have been worth the upgrade from CS 5.5. I am currently using code snippets for that and it looks great and is supported in Live View (with additional checks on my iPad, iPhone and on my browsers), but IMHO, CS5.5 is doing everything CS6 is doing.

I do not like how the CSS Panels support gradients. You get this little + sign over a right triangle—what's that supposed to mean? Of no help whatsoever. And, of course, Design View does about as good a job rendering that as Internet Exploder 6 would do—I think. I am not suggesting that they dump Live View or Live Code, but when you're just trying to mark sections out and see them, CSS3 is really beginning to break "Design View."

Hi

O/K, for obvious reasons I cannot give you a picture of Dw CC, (NDA) but if you head over to Adobe TV (http://tv.adobe.com/#) there are a number of videos available about CC, (and MAX) a few of them are about the CSS Designer panel.

Look closely at the video you will see some of the features, (including Gradients and much more). Also the Dw CC product page describes some of these features.

PZ

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 1:22 PM   in reply to pziecina

Hi, (again)

You can also take a look at David Powers blog post about MAX, where he describes a few of the CSS Designer 'features' - http://foundationphp.com/blog/

Sorry I cannot say more, but until CC is released!

PZ

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 1:48 PM   in reply to mhollis55

mhollis55 wrote:

Seriously, an NDA ought not prevent you from saying that there is gradient support when they have a video like this on their website.

Hi

Seriously, the NDA does. I can point you to videos, articles, blog posts, etc.

But until the product is released, all I am allowed to say is, "xyz is included ,and if you look at video abc FROM ADOBE you will see this feature".

Now you know what makes NDA's so frustrating, and why one has to be careful.

I cannot even hint that something may be included when someone asks a question, which is probably why everyone in a pre-release , answers very few forum questions.

PZ

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:11 PM   in reply to pziecina

Reading an author's (or speaker's) review of a feature is useless.

Obviously, David has to put a positive spin on things if he is investing

the time to do a workshop. I have looked at the feature videos and can

tell you that some people will love them, especially at first and

especially beginners, while others will utterly hate them - especially

since it seems the classic property-sheet format CSS panel is gone and

one needs to deal with beginner level hand-holding, whether they want to

or not. I guess, advanced CSS authors (real ones, not wannabes) will

simply restrict their work to CSS code view, which is fine - and use the

gradient editor - although from the video it looks fatally flawed in

terms of syntax handling.

--

Al Sparber - PVII

[spam links removed by admin]

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:11 PM   in reply to mhollis55

Mark,

I know what I saw and I never make a statement like that in public that

without evidence. Once Dreamweaver CC is fully released and public I'd

be happy to go into detail. Let's just say I'm not at liberty to discuss

this any further right now.

--

Al Sparber - PVII

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 12:20 AM   in reply to mhollis55

Never use the css panel in Dreamweaver so this upgrade is immaterial to my workflow. I can't believe using any css panel is faster, better or gives more control than actually hand coding it oneself. Plenty of quirky stuff emerging which Adobe are throwing into the mix which will most likley disappear or be proven to be crap over time....their track record isn't exactly great is it......AP <divs>, timelines, spry to name but a few. The areas that would be more helpful like a set of improved server behaviours (which I believe is a massive part of why the program is so popular) they have completely overlooked in favour or rather lame or non-essential updates. Go figure. And as for Cloud only well I don't approve of that either......I'll make my current versions of Adobe products last as long as I can then consider my options.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 3:00 AM   in reply to Al Sparber

--

Al Sparber - PVII

I'm curious as to why Al's signature has suddenly become spam? He has made hundreds of valuable comments on this fourm with that signature, but now it is spam. Why?

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 3:28 AM   in reply to mhollis55

So now you effectively will be forced to "upgrade" to the newest version of the suite whether you want to or not. What a rip-off...

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 3:44 AM   in reply to John Waller

This runs counter to the whole workflow concept. Being an efficient designer means knowing exactly what you need from each program. I don't want to have to reorient myself everytime I open the software program.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 5:26 AM   in reply to Paevo Kelley

Yes and looking back to the upgrade history from the last 3 "Master Suite" upgrades (CS3 till now)  it doesn't look very promising.

Not really much essential stuff changed in most programs (except for Aftereffects and Premiere-Pro) and Dreamweaver has become a sluggish outdated program.

The only reason I keep it for the moment is because of the Project Seven extensions,  P7 is the only company that kept Dreamweaver up to date (with exceptional webdesigners tools like "Column Composer Magic") not Adobe!

Most of the time we end up finishing a website in Sublime text 2. Works 3x faster.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 5:41 AM   in reply to VL Branko

Because they are idiots.

I normally use email to for this forum and my signature is inserted

automatically. I took out the link and left the rest of the signature,

depending on what is removed we'll see if we have a live moron or an

automated idiot

--

Al Sparber - PVII

The Finest Dreamweaver Menus | Galleries | Widgets