Skip navigation
Kennedy.ND
Currently Being Moderated

What do I need to do?

May 6, 2013 1:14 PM

I have my 475 page book currently in PDF (a Proof) that was created in InDesign by another person. I tried to convert the PDF to Word using Export PDF, but it only produced most of the document in CAPS and nonsensical words, so probably incrypted by InDesign. I want to edit the book myself so what do I need to do to convert this PDF file to InDesign? I do not know what version of InDesign the other person used. I really don't want to have to re-type the whole thing over using Word...help! Thanks, Barbara 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 2:08 PM   in reply to Kennedy.ND

The ideal situation would be if you can somehow get the original ID file. Try to save the PDF as rich text format. That will give you a better result.

By the way, in Properties/Description you can see what application was used to create the PDF.

Message was edited:

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 2:29 PM   in reply to Kennedy.ND

Why don't you just request a copy of the artwork.  i.e. the InDesign file from this person who laid it out?  A PDF proof is excellent for proofreading the artwork but it is NOT artwork!

Randy

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 3:05 PM   in reply to The Digital Man

DM, it might be against company rules to provide 'live' documents. Stuff like that ought to have been agreed upon before the work was done.

Barbara, if you cannot get your designer to send you the actual InDesign file(s), ask for an RTF export. That's just plain text with basic formatting; so, not threatening to the designer.

But I'm curious: if you wrote the book, why don't you have the original text file?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points