Don't hold your breath for CS7....

May 6, 2013 2:19 PM

Tags: #illustrator #creative #creative_clouds #cs7

http://www.adobe.com/cc/letter.html

Seems there won't be a CS7 ever.

Replies 1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 2:57 PM   in reply to [scott w]

Probably inevitable. CS6 will be the last version for me.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 3:01 PM   in reply to [scott w]

I will certainly be looking for an alternative to a lifetime of extortion from Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 3:08 PM   in reply to Kopy-Rite

It may not be worth it for some casual users or even some pro users. I became a CC subscriber because I wanted access to to the app, UI, and ebook creation tools. For my design, personal creative, and photo editing work, my use of Illustrator and Photoshop has not really exploited any new feature added since Photoshop 7. It's probably the same for a lot of users.

In the end, it's all about looking at - honestly - how you use the product and what you will get out of keeping on top of every new upgrade. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 3:10 PM   in reply to [scott w]

I don't know why it feels like sad news

should we be exited instead about the new CC features?

http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/features.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 3:16 PM   in reply to Dreia Melinkoff

They have already been forcing upgrades by changing file formats.

At some point the DAF - the Downgrade Annoyance Factor -- is sufficient to force an upgrade.

But at least we can use the older version for simple printing tasks... but with this extortion plan, that option goes away.

This will be an incredible expense to those of us who are simply service bureaus, and only need to use Adobe to print customer-provided files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 6:22 PM   in reply to [scott w]

I don't know why it feels like sad news

Probably because those of us who aren't interested in monthly software subscription fees have just been written off by Adobe.

Corel, ACD, and Xara should be glad to hear it.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 6:42 PM   in reply to [scott w]

Adobe... So you just want to tell us old, loyal customers to get lost?  Those of us who are now retired or disabled, and helped make you what you are today...  but we are now fools because you want to fight piracy?

Yes... we are the fools... We bought your product even when we could have pirated them, but now, in order to fight the pirates, you will not let us continue to own these products... after so many years?

The priates are already laughing at us!

I am now disabled/retired and can't afford a monthly fee... and I do not have an ongoing, reliable internet connection... I haven't even been able to upload ONE (1) large Tiff file so my friends could access it. but now you expect me to use the cloud for... everything?  What BS!

This is crap!  Pure extortion!

You have had your people talk for how long about converting our RAW files to your "forever, available, format."  Now you are saying that (in the future) if we have LR, with one version of ACR and CS6 with an old one, because we can't afford your monthly subscription fees, then we will be SOL?

Is this what you mean?

I don't like lawyers, but I think they will have a field day with this...

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 6:56 PM   in reply to [scott w]

At least I don't need to budget for CS7 this year.

Same here. I'll be sending less than half of what I've been sending Adobe for each version upgrade of CS to Corel for an overdue upgrade to the Draw Technical Suite--and be happier, to boot, with the greater empowerment I gain from it in terms of significant and practical functionality.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 7:05 PM   in reply to [scott w]

At least I don't need to budget for CS7 this year. I can just use CS6 until the wheels fall off, then begrudgingly subscribe if needed.

But...but...how will Adobe's free support (this forum) work if "everyone" doesn't pay to play?

I see Adobe wringing their hands in glee that they now have exponentially increased their beta tester base. No doubt this is to give CC renters a better, more stable, product. And faster, too.

Makes me just shiver all over.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 7:37 PM   in reply to nightshadow 1

...because you want to fight piracy?

Nightshadow,

This isn't about piracy. It's about flattening and broadening the revenue stream. Creative Coolaid users can't elect to skip versions which they deem unworthy of the price. They'll become more "captive" to Adobe than ever before. Adobe doesn't have to ship disks or print packaging; just put it on a server, continue using cookies to bombard everyone online with ads, and charge whatever the suckers who buy into it will pay to be forever at Adobe's mercy. It's every monolithic software vendor's dream: Continuous Charging of Captive Customers.

It's just like the nonsense about "In a community of creative experts, Help is not a document" tripe. Gag me. That bit of Creative Copy writing is about shrugging the burden of customer support and proper documentation onto the customers themselves.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 9:05 PM   in reply to JETalmage

I wonder if Adobe introduces features and new services that you find you need if that will change your position on this?

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 9:40 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Services? Nah. Features? At the rate Adobe rolls out new features we would be looking at AI 21CC to make that a worthwhile proposition.

Now, longstanding bug fixes, or usability changes, I would actually have to think about that...

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 2:09 AM   in reply to nightshadow 1

Myths/Misconceptions about Adobe Creative Cloud

http://terrywhite.com/5-myths-about-adobe-creative-cloud/

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 2:16 AM   in reply to [scott w]

Creative Cloud paid members have access to a select set of archived versions of the desktop apps. Starting with CS6, select older versions of the desktop creative apps will be archived and available for download. Archived versions are provided “as is” and are not updated to work with the latest hardware and software platforms.

[scott w] wrote:

My biggest issue with CC, is bugs.

It's a common issue to find a bug. And to get around it you need to use an older version you have installed. That will no longer be possible in the near future. Everyone may be at the mercy of the same bugs.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 2:51 AM   in reply to MW Design

Guys,  just head over to http://tv.adobe.com/watch/inside-creative-cloud/the-myths-of-adobe-cre ative-cloud/ to clear your misconceptions.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 4:54 AM   in reply to Cupertino Fruit

The "myth" video did not address the concern that we are forced to store our artwork files-- sometimes rather large files -- online, rather than locally.  This raises concerns about time, security, etc.  What about small offices that use cellular data plans?

Another myth that was unaddressed is that the customers are now being extorted... and will pay a compulsory Adobe tax FOREVER.  Wait... maybe that is not a myth?

How about this... What if we are willing to give up Adobe's great deal?  What if we want to foolishly continue to buy a perpetual license?  Why won't Adobe just allow us to to do this, and then laugh all the way to the bank?  After all, the CC is a better deal for us, and not just some profiteering scheme from Adobe, right?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 5:02 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Dave Merchant wrote:

Creative Cloud paid members have access to a select set of archived versions of the desktop apps. Starting with CS6, select older versions of the desktop creative apps will be archived and available for download. Archived versions are provided “as is” and are not updated to work with the latest hardware and software platforms.

Can you post a source for this statement?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:41 AM   in reply to Kopy-Rite

Afaik you can store your stuff on your own hard drives, not on the Cloud, unless you want to. I'd never store on the Cloud as I think it is a great opportunity for digital theft - not that I have anything worth stealing.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to [Ravi Kiran]

What I heard on the video is that I cannot run more than one version of AI from CC. When I upgrade it sounds like I'll lose the ability to work in an earlier version from CC. Am I wrong?

I am currently paying for CC even though I am not able to use AICS6 in my workflow because of bugs. It is over one year and nothing has changed. According to the "Myth" video I will be force to "upgrade" to the latest version after one year, whether the bugs are fixed or not.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to James_233

I agree.  And, according to my internal audit accountants, my software was paid for a long, long, time ago.  When I dished out nearly $1500.00 in 1995 for Adobe's Creative Collection.  The software itself was written and developed years before I decided to buy-in.  So, a $.50 fee for each application sounds fair to me or a year's club fee for $9.95 on disk with documentation.  What I find surprising is that there are so many people willing to go along with this Crummy Creative Crud absurdity...year-after-year.  Perhaps James Talbot's suggestion of going over to competitors will open Adobe's eyes.  Noone is forcing people to go along with the party plan.  So don't.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:08 AM   in reply to rcraighead

What I heard on the video is that I cannot run more than one version of AI from CC. When I upgrade it sounds like I'll lose the ability to work in an earlier version from CC. Am I wrong?

I am currently paying for CC even though I am not able to use AICS6 in my workflow because of bugs. It is over one year and nothing has changed. According to the "Myth" video I will be force to "upgrade" to the latest version after one year, whether the bugs are fixed or not.

I have been asking that question for a long time now. And now one from Adobe will answer that. The silence is telling. Random people making statements as in post 16 without any source to back it up makes one even more suspicious.

What incentive will Adobe have to produce new features or even fix bugs once they get you hooked on their Creative Captivity drug.  And once they get that revenue stream from your CC addiction you will pay monthly or no software to use, crappy full of bugs or not.

Without any real alternatives withdrawal could be painful.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 9:38 AM   in reply to [scott w]

I would like to know where Dave Merchant gets his information.

See http://blogs.adobe.com/dreamweaver/2013/03/5-myths-about-adobe-creativ e-cloud.html

Adobe says:

Myth #5: I will be forced to always run the latest version of the software

You are not forced to upgrade. You can continue to run which ever versions of the software that you want until YOU are ready to upgrade. This is crucial for workflows that involve working with clients or vendors that may not be on the latest versions of the software. You can continue using your current version of the product for one full year after the subsequent version is released.

So it sounds like I will not be able to use my CS6 suite (perpetual license) after a year. Is that correct? Some perpetual licence!

And then, if I have to build files in CC, if I ever stop my subscription I am unable to open my files.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to mpc999

"You can continue using your current version of the product for one full year after the subsequent version is released."

How in the hell is this not being forced to upgrade?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 10:07 AM   in reply to [scott w]

Well, Scott, I'm not convinced. Since CS6, even the perpetual version, checks its activation periodically before allowing you to use it, Adobe could merely decline my activation after a year if you believe their statement in Myth 5.

Now, I know the meaning of "perpetual" and I'd like to think you are correct that I will be able to use it forever. But what you and I want to happen and what Adobe is saying (albeit in a blog from only one of their teams) are two different things without a clarifying statement about perpetual licenses.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to mpc999

So CS6 has been out for a year now. You can no longer use CS5 NOW!

IS THIS THE FUTURE WITH CC????

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 10:13 AM   in reply to Was DYP

Was DYP wrote:

So CS6 has been out for a year now. You can no longer use CS5 NOW!

IS THIS THE FUTURE WITH CC????

No, you can use CS5. I use it everyday and I am a CC subscriber. But that is because I bought a perpetual licence for CS5 before CC was offered. It is not available for CC-only users.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 10:16 AM   in reply to rcraighead

My point is that if CS5 was a CC product you could longer be using it. That is the future with CC.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to rcraighead

I have the Design Premium 5.5 suite and it hasn't stopped working just because I have CC/CS6...

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 10:57 AM   in reply to Dreia Melinkoff

Dreia Melinkoff wrote:

I have the Design Premium 5.5 suite and it hasn't stopped working just because I have CC/CS6...

My point is that if CS5 was a CC product you could longer be using it. That is the future with CC.

Read and Think!

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to Was DYP

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to Dave_Burkett

Who is Terry White and what affiliation does he have with Adobe.

Anyone find a statement from Adobe with this change?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 11:41 AM   in reply to Was DYP

@DYP, Terry White works for Adobe, as do I. 

If you have an older version of an Adobe perpetual product such as CS3, CS4, CS5, or CS6, then you can continue to have access to that software ongoing installed on your computer.  What Terry is clarifying is that starting with CS6,  older versions of the desktop creative apps will be archived and available for download.   This is for new users of Creative Cloud to have access to older versions.  So for instance in a few years, a CC user can re-download CS6.   Also, a CC user isn't forced to upgrade to the latest update when it becomes available via the Creative Cloud.  They can always stay on the version they have until it makes sense to move to the newer version.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 6 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)