Skip navigation
gohokomo
Currently Being Moderated

Need help finalizing first webpage...

May 6, 2013 3:13 PM

Hi - I am new to dreamweaver and have managed to figure something out, but not others. 

I am building a website with several pages but I want to get this first page completely ready to go before I move on the the others (as I want to use it as a template from them).

I have attached a sample image of what I would like the site to look like. It is pretty close.

Website Design Sample Image.jpg

Issues I am having:

The menu bar across the top of the image isn't deplaying right.  It looks different in design view, live view, and preview.  I have tried it two different ways (as coloumns and as a horizontal list) - but it isn't filling across the width of the page.

I'm also having trouble getting the 3 columns to have the same height - possibly becuase I have padding on some and not on others?

I'm not sure how to show you what I have currently - but here is a screen capture zoomed out.  (it looks small - but only because I zoomed out to get the whole thing).

Screen Shot 2013-05-06 at 3.05.06 PM.png

Also - is there a way to get rid of the tiny gap above the header:  MICAHEL GABRIEL?

And is there a way to add a shadow to the header and menu text?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 3:33 PM   in reply to gohokomo

#1 Menu Bar "...isn't filling across the width of the page." They seldom do.  Menu width is driven by the amount of content it holds, how much CSS margins & padding you put between the links and the text sizes people use in their browsers.

#2  "having trouble getting the 3-columns to have the same height."   Also not surprising given that div height is based entirely on content.  More content = longer division.  Less content = shorter divisions.   Don't sweat the small stuff.  Nobody cares if one column is longer than the others.

#3 "Is there a way to get rid of the tiny gap above the header?" Yes. Zero out margins and padding on your body and headings (h1, h2, h3, p).  Or use a CSS Reset method to remove default browser margins & padding from page elements.

http://cssresetr.com/

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points