Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat reader 11 won't open anymore.  XP

May 6, 2013 3:48 PM

Acrobat reader 11 won't open anymore.  XP

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 8:23 PM   in reply to the big haus

Try this: using Windows Explorer navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader, then double-click on Eula.exe and accept the license agreement.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to the big haus

Can you open Adobe Reader by itself?  If so, try disabling Protected Mode [Edit | Preferences | Security (Enhanced)].

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 3:22 AM   in reply to the big haus

Do you have XP SP3? It's a must for Reader XI...

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 12:17 PM   in reply to the big haus

Do you get any kind of error that pops up, or is there literally nothign at all happening when you try to launch Reader? If you look in Task Manager, does the AcroRd.exe process start and then stop, or does it never show up at all? Do you get any errors in the event log?

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 9:21 PM   in reply to the big haus

Ah, this event log message is interesting; do you actually have that file JSByteCodeWin.bin in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\Javascripts ?  If not, can you try a repair (from Control Panel | Add/Remove programs).

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to the big haus

I am having similar issue.  xpSP3 Adobe 11.0 *11.0.02.0*  run adobe, it shows up in the procceces in the task manager.. it gets up to about 300,000K memory useage then ends.  no pop up error window no error in the windows application error logs or system.

I can urn the eula.exe and it runs and i can click the Accept button..

AV Symantec EndPoint V. 12.1 Managed client

Malwarebytes V. 1.75.0.1300

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 6:26 PM   in reply to the big haus

the big haus wrote:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 11(2).0\Reader(2)\Javascripts(2)

This does not look good.  I am also surprised that System Restore would do that; normally System Restore does not touch user data (Program Files); only system data (Windows).

I suggest that you run the Acrobat Removal Tool http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/acrobatcleaner.html (multiple times, until all Reader installations are gone), then delete these duplicate install folders, and install Reader again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2013 9:18 PM   in reply to daycheck0874

Having the same issue - everything worked fine as of yesterday. Went through Add/Remove programs at least 10 times. After reading these posts, ran the eula.exe and clicked Accept. Javascript JSByteCodeWin.bin is there. Ran the removal tool as I found an old version (7.0) and it indicated everything had been removed. Shows installation for 11.0 was completed but nothing happens when I try to launch 11.0.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 3:26 PM   in reply to the big haus

Mine is still doing the same thing ..."AcroRd32.exe doing something up to about 300,000K before it drops off"  uninstalled all adobe products rebooted.. uninstalled my antivirus tried .. still same issue..

solution:.. Install alternitive PDF reader... FoxIt PDF Reader.. 

Google search for it. http://goo.gl/nMPxO

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 6:45 PM   in reply to the big haus

Ok, now let's try to disable Protected Mode via the registry.  Download, unzip, then run the attached registry script.

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 6:47 PM   in reply to daycheck0874

daycheck0874 wrote:

solution:.. Install alternitive PDF reader... FoxIt PDF Reader.. 

Bad advice!  There are quite a few good alternative PDF viewers out there; Foxit is definitely not one of them.  It will install spyware on your system, whether you opt out of it or not.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2013 10:07 PM   in reply to the big haus

Now that's an entirely different problem.  You have malware on your system; see http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/reader-core-dll-error.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 4:46 PM   in reply to the big haus

I had to create an account just to reply.  I, too, started experiencing this the week of May 5th.  I uninstalled, reinstalled.  I could see Adobe running in the task bar but nothing would open.

I also saw a service, svshost.exe, running at below normal.  It wasn't there before so that was really my first clue that I had malware.  I ran Spybot, Adaware, Malwarebytes, ESET.  Nothing came up on the ESET scan but there were minor issues found with Spybot.

But, I kept trying-continuing to uninstall, reinstall. And then I saw these posts.   Running Kaspersky's task killer did it!  Thank you all for the help.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 7:50 PM   in reply to dmi05

My husband ran Kaspersky's task killer and the good news is that I can now open Adobe files on my hard drive. Unfortunately, I'm unable to open PDFs from any websites. It looks like they going to launch but nothing ever completes/opens. Not receiving any error messages to provide any clues. Thoughts?

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2013 8:47 PM   in reply to Twinsrock27

Twinsrock27 wrote:

I'm unable to open PDFs from any websites.

Piggybacking on a topic that has been marked as resolved is not going to get you much help.  Start a new topic and include all relevant information.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points