Skip navigation
David A E
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a way to change the color of a linked eps or ai file in InDesign?

May 6, 2013 4:30 PM

I have a questionaire form that I'm placing in several documents. I need it to be exactly the same in all instances except that it occurs in 4/c on some docs and 1/c (black) on others.

It'd be best to have all the Indesign files link to the same eps (or ai, or eps) file so that I know any change to the text of the linked questionaire will be reflected on all of the InDesign docs. But I don't think InDesign will let me change the color of the text and other filled or stoked elements of eps, ai, or pdf files.

I can change a these in a grayscale tif file. But rasterising the questionaire at a high dpi somewhat defeats the live update feature I'm trying to add here (and bloats my file size).

Could the fact that I can't change the document color mode to grayscale in AI be a factor here?

Thank you for your time!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2013 1:39 AM   in reply to David A E

The only way I can think of is to use a Spot Colour in Illustrator.

You can then place that into InDesign and the Spot Colour should show up in the Swatches Panel.

In InDesign - create a New Swatch and have this be a Spot colour too.

Using the Swatches Panel flyout menu (top right) you can go Ink Manager...

From here you can Map the colour used in Illustrator to the colour you have creaeted in InDesign.

This will replace the colour in InDesign only - and results may vary on output.

You will need to use View>Overprint Preview to view the results.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2013 4:48 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

Ah, but you cannot map a spot to a process swatch, so the options are still limited. You can map the spot to black, or you can convert to process, but you cannot do both in the same file.  I think a better alternative would be to make a few versions of the logo natively, spot (if it uses spot colors) process (and if the colors are important you may want to embed the profile) and grayscale. You'll have a lot more control over the grayscale in particular that way.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points