Skip navigation
JRx
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop opens all files as transparent

May 6, 2013 5:17 PM

Tags: #photoshop #problem #files #opening

I installed the CS4 Suite. When Photoshop comes up the background layer is transparent. This happens even if I open a file with Photoshop. In that case, the Layer icon shows the image but what I see on screen is only the checkerboard pattern. The proper way for the New file to show up is with the background a solid (specified) color and for an opened file the actual image being opened.  How do I correct this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 5:20 PM   in reply to JRx

Update your video card driver from the GPU maker's website, or turn off GPU drawing in Photoshop preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 6:17 PM   in reply to JRx

CS2 doesn't use the GPU.

Again, this is a bug in your video card driver.  To fix it, you need to update your video card driver.

Temporarily, you could disable GPU drawing in Photoshop's preferences.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 6:51 PM   in reply to JRx

GPU can be disabled in PS edit/preferences probably in performance tab section.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,488 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2013 1:23 PM   in reply to JRx

Your GPU isn't really sufficient to run Photoshop.  Just about any video card you can buy to replace it is better than that ancient circa 2006 video card.

Do yourself a favor - don't waste any more of your time trying to make it work.  Go down to the local high tech store and get an inexpensive gamer card.  Go through whatever process is necessary to fully remove the old drivers, get the latest released new drivers for the new card, and be happy.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points