Skip navigation
cmoran1!1!
Currently Being Moderated

Maintaining aspect ratio when transforming

May 6, 2013 4:42 PM

Since I have upgraded to CS6 I've noticed that when transforming an object it does not maintain the aspect ratio even when I am holding shift while transforming. I have to each time check the link button (maintain aspect ratio)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 5:32 PM   in reply to cmoran1!1!

It's seems to work here on photoshop cs6 13.01.1 on windows 7 x64.

Does it happen on anything you try to transform or just certain documents or layer types?

What operating system are you using?

Have you installed all the latest updates by going to Help>Updates from within photoshop cs6?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 11:20 AM   in reply to cmoran1!1!

So it always works when you press the Maintain Aspect Ratio button, but never works when holding down the shift key?

I'm sure you know this, but the maintain aspect ratio only works when using one of the corner handles and not one of the side handles.

Have you tried resetting the photoshop cs6 prefrences and also verifying that the shift key is actually working?

Reset the photoshop preferences by holding down the Shift+Option+Cmd keys while starting photoshop and keep holding

down the keys until you get a dialog asking if you want to delete the photoshop settings file. Then press Yes.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 12:14 PM   in reply to cmoran1!1!

It'll be because 'Snap Vector Tools and Transforms to Pixel Grid' is enabled in 'Preferences > General', an option that didn't exist before CS6. It's actually being more truthful that way because the transformed layer has to become an integer number of pixels wide and tall, anyway, and that's not going to be a perfectly proportional scale in most cases.

See what I mean by trying to scale an 11 x 10 pixels layer by 50%. It's impossible for that to be scaled by exactly 50% in width because the result has to be either 5 or 6 pixels wide (it will be 6). When the 'Snap...' preference is disabled (i.e. the pre-CS6 behaviour) you can scale the bounding box by precisely 50% in width but the pixels don't cover precisely 50% of the original width. When the preference is enabled, you won't be misled by being able to scale the bounding box to precisely 50% when the pixels cannot cover precisely 50%.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points