Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

No perpetual licenses are you serious?

May 6, 2013 5:15 PM

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 3 ... 41 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2013 5:42 PM   in reply to Mattrman

I too use my software when traveling. I don't always have internet. So not only do I have to pay a monthly subscription, now I have to buy internet service at the hotels, airports and convention centers. NO WAY! That comes out of my pocket!

Corel is the new answer. Corel knew this was coming and made quality improvements to their products and bought competitors to have their technology. I use Creative Suite maybe 6 to 24 times a year. Always on a last minute basis and have always used my educator discount to buy the software and have it standing by.

I cannot or will not pay for subscription just so its ready. I will swallow the one time cost every few years but no way am I doing this. I have been with Adobe since CS2... Adobe, you have lost a customer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 5:43 PM   in reply to Mattrman

Seconded. All the lovey-dovey marketing talk they come out with about creating solutions and new ways forward really won't change the reality: this is creating a problem.

Does anyone have an email address that we can use to complain directly?

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 6:01 PM   in reply to Mattrman

I will stay on current version as long as possible and then switch to other software in 3-5 years. Perpetual license software.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 7:47 PM   in reply to 7marcin

Agreed. Adobe has just decided to price me out of their software.  I only need/want access to Photoshop and After Effects.  I have never needed access to the full suite. I don't always need/want all the updated tools, some are things that just don't apply to my work every day.  I've been happy updating every 1-3 years.  Adobe is clearly not happy with me updating on my schedule.  Great, I get a discount for the first year of CC and then jacked up pricing after that. Sure, I can turn an account on and off (yay subcriptions!!!! -insert sarcastic tone)  No thank you.  I do understand that software development is costly. I will pay for worthy updates when I need them or have to.  Offer an ala carte option (I pay for the 2 apps I need, not the full suite) and I might reconsider. But at this point, I'm glad I've been investing in alternitives for the last few years.  Like the previous poster, I'll keep using my licences until Adobe cuts me off (probably by the end of the year at their current rate).  Then I'll happly spend my $$ elsewhere. Waiting for Corel to offer their insentive for me to jump over in the next few days.

Nice job Shantanu. Just because you say I will love CC over and over, does not make it true.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 2:07 PM   in reply to Mattrman

MatthewRPearse wrote:

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

Best regards - Matt

Matt,

There is a lot of confusion over this and hopefully, I can help clear some of it up.

You do not have to be online in order to use the software. This is covered in our FAQ:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html#

--

Do I need ongoing Internet access to use my Creative Cloud desktop applications?

No.  Your Creative Cloud desktop applications (such as Photoshop and Illustrator) are installed directly on your computer, so you won't need an ongoing Internet connection to use them on a daily basis.

You will need to be online when you install and license your software. If you have an annual membership, you'll be asked to connect to the web to validate your software licenses every 30 days.  However, you'll be able to use products for 99 days even if you're offline.

--

(note, we are planning to expand this to 180 days.)

So, you have to be online when you install, but after that, you only need to be online once every 3 months (99 days).

Hope that helps...

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 7:56 PM   in reply to buddhaboy01

I am 100% against forcing users from standalone products to the Cloud.  I do not trust the cloud.  I do not want my work on the cloud, I do not want to have to have an internet connection to be able to use SW.  I want to buy the SW, install it on my computer and then use it at will as often or rarely as I deem fit without having to pay every month for the privldege.   This is terrible move by Adobe and I hope there are others out there that will reject this development and refuse to buy into the CC.  -- Dan

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 8:22 PM   in reply to Califdan

I'm 100% against forcing users to rent software.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 8:31 PM   in reply to BlueThird

BlueThird wrote:

Completely understand. That is why we continue to sell CS6 (indefinately), and plan to update it to support the next major releases of Mac and Windows.

This is covered in the FAQ:

http://www.adobe.com/go/cc_faq

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 8:56 PM   in reply to MikeChambers

First, I can't find that in the FAQ anywhere.  How many OS X iupgrades will Adobe continue to support as CS6 grows old in the tooth?  I guarantee that wolnt\'t last very long.

Second, how does that help me if I buy a new camera that is not currently included in CS6?  Since I use Lightroom as well that has the equivalent of Adobe Camera Raw built in, how will they work together in the future when LR is upgraded but PS is not? 

Adobe has lost me as a customer if they continue down this path exclusively.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 9:35 PM   in reply to MikeChambers

MikeChambers wrote:

BlueThird wrote:

Completely understand. That is why we continue to sell CS6 (indefinately), and plan to update it to support the next major releases of Mac and Windows.

This is covered in the FAQ:

http://www.adobe.com/go/cc_faq

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

I'm sorry, but no.  That's not going to cut it.  Eventually camera raw will not support new camera models, and we will be forced into the cloud and the monthly subscription model.  For casual photographers and artists who upgrade every 2 or 3 versions, the subscription is significantly more expensive even at current prices, which will no doubt rise over time.

The professional users won't mind, but the rest of us are left in the dust.  Leaving CS6 available is a stopgap only; we'll all be forced into the cloud eventually.

I've been a long time user of Adobe Photoshop, and I absolutely abhor this move.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 9:47 PM   in reply to Mattrman

Oh well. I've been an early (2.0) licensed Photoshop user, I've had every version of the creative suite. I've loved it for years. But in the last couple of versions, Adobe software has become awkward to install and to keep on my Mac. Update pains. Bugs. Multitudes of unnecessary helper apps. I must admit I've become a bit discontent anyway but didn't want to switch to other applications partially due to lack of such. But this is a no-go for me. I want to own my software, not rent it. So it's time to move on. I will try Coda 2 as an alternative to Dreamweaver, I will use Pixelmator 2 as an alternative to Photoshop. Given time and given Adobe's decisions, other software will continue to pop up and improve. Agreed that in the short term, it'll be a pain. But in the long run, there are enough dynamic little companies out there. It'll work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 9:57 PM   in reply to Califdan

I totally agree!!! Adobe is making a HUGE mistake... seriously. Adobe better rethink its move on FORCING us to a subscription based model. Are you listening Adobe????

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 10:02 PM   in reply to Mr. Swissman

Hey, I've just now uninstalled my CS 6 and will try to work with alternatives. It may be a rash decision... but my harddrive and I feel better already. Let's see how it goes.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 10:12 PM   in reply to Mattrman

It is a flagrant, misguided, and just plain greedy way for Adobe to try, and I mean try, to milk its customers...I do not think this will succeed. I've used Adobe software since it acquired FrameMaker and Pagemaker. I remember Photoshop 2. Been loyal and honest and I could not be more incensed at this "upgrade" scheme! If this decision stands, I too will find alternatives and I will encourage all my design professional colleagues to do the same.

Maybe I'll buy a few shares of their stock, so I can place a shareholder proposal opposing this scheme on their corporate ballot.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 10:26 PM   in reply to NoAdobeCloudPlease

The issue of Camera Raw support is obviously a huge one, and I'm sure I'm not alone in being every bit as cynical on this subject. I simply don't believe that Adobe won't try to force us into switching to Creative Cloud.

For anyone interested, there's a petition at Change.org.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 10:56 PM   in reply to BlueThird

Its a total rip off. Apple screwed us out of Final Cut, then Adobe stepped in with an amazing "switch" plan. They should have called it "Bait and Switch". Do the math. $19.99 for CS6 upgrades for the first year, then it jumps to the $49.99 plan. $240ish for year one. $600 for year 2. By Year three you will have paid $1400+ and on and on. I've used Final Cut for the life of the software, and had I paid a monthly fee for all those years the cost would have been way in the very high thousands of dollars. As much as those old hardware based Avid systems that people tried to get out from under once Final Cut was released.

I've been busting my butt trying to get up to speed with the Adobe suite and recently have become so excited about working with it. Finally putting Final Cut somewhat behind me only to have this dumped on my lap. Frustraded is an understatment.

Thanks for letting me vent.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 12:59 AM   in reply to Dan Pred

I can only reitterate what has been said above.

As a customer I do not want a forever and ever obligation to be online and pay Adobe to use its software. 

Please Adobe -  continue with paid perpertual licenses.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 12:51 AM   in reply to Mattrman

I'm just an amateur. A retired teacher who loves photography. I own CS4 and can't currently afford to upgrade that, so do my nikon raw conversions elsewhere since Adobe already refuse to upgrade CS4 to cope with newer Nikons.

Now Adobe you want me to pay HOW MUCH each month???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????

And my answer is NO.

I suspect that your decision has just lost you the loyalty of every single amateur, and individual in the world. Or I hope it has.

Been with you for 20 years +, but clearly now, time to say bye bye.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 1:12 AM   in reply to johndut

Johndut,

My views entirely!  Except that I go back with Adobe only thirteen years.

With luck, this innovation will turn out to be known as "Creative Cloud Cuckoo Land", but I doubt it.  This model seems to be the way the software world is headed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 4:46 AM   in reply to Mattrman

Also.

This kind of software distribution is ********.

I want to buy and to OWN my software.

Maybe - in times I have no money for, I want to have accesss to my files.

I don´t want to travel (maybe in the last corner of this planet or on sea) without having to greet Adobe (and to let them know where I am and what I´m doing)!

And: If I created content over the years - I cant´t quit my membership. Because in case of that: All my files are no longer to use.

And if the membership will cost XY today... What´s in a couple of years? When all your files will be useless when you quit membership?
    I don´t know which marketing-guy (and I think there are many at Adobe) has born this ****.

I will have to look for alternatives if Adobe won´t make a step back.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 5:06 AM   in reply to Mattrman

I only use Flash Pro. No way the minor* updates to that application justify a yearly $240 rental fee!!

IMO, this is a ridiculous plan, no doubt fueled by corporate greed.

* Although to be fair, the mac "C7" version has ungone a total 64-bit rewrite, historically, the major updates have only brought about minor feature enhancements. Previously, not a big issue as the upgrade fee was much more reasonable though...

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2013 5:18 AM   in reply to gtr

gtr wrote:

I only use Flash Pro. No way the minor updates to that application justify a yearly $240 rental fee!!

Don't forget you can carry on using your perpetual CS6 license. And if you don't have one, they're still available for sale. Then you can reconsider the options a few years down the line when CS6 no longer meets your needs.

I understand that it's not a popular decision for everyone, and I don't work for Adobe so it's no good complaining to me.

But all this talk about having to look for alternatives... your software you've bought and paid for hasn't just exploded or ceased to work!  We each have a choice - on one hand, there's the status quo. Your CS6 software is working great right now and you can continue using it.  On the other hand, if you want the new features they've created, the subscription is what they're offering to sell you.

In most cases, CS6 is the industry standard right now, and that's unlikely to change quickly.  If they want to maintain their membership customers, they're going to have to continue improving, otherwise other software will come snapping at its heals soon enough.  At this point there's nothing worth jumping ship for.  If you don't want to pay the subscription, that's fine, but why not just hold fire and see what happens?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 5:31 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

The discussion is not, if the good old cs 6 is good or not. And if one can use it in future.

The discussion is, if this new distribution model makes sense.

And I also thik, adobe is abusing his monopol.

I WILL NEVER ACCEPT A LICENSE MODEL LIKE THAT!

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 5:41 AM   in reply to Mattrman

You have a work computer that does not access the internet for 6 months?  You mean you don't have any work email and never even do a google search? Wow.  I feel your pain but I would imagine there are very few creative professionals (and amateurs for that matter) that wouldn't be able to be online just once every 6 months to validate they have a subscription.  Especially in this day and age.  So for 99.9% of people, I can't see that particular thing being a problem at all.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 5:49 AM   in reply to Daryl Barnes

In fact, to add to my previous post, most people's objections I have seen were because of their mistaken assumption that the Creative Cloud involved having to be constantly connected to the internet.  And many people believe the apps are actually hosted in the cloud!  None of that is true.  We've been very happy so far with Creative Cloud because with CC we've seen much faster release updates with new and better features and bug fixes than in the past and this has allowed us to create better results for our clients faster.  We've increased our profitability, the fixes and updates make the tools more enjoyable to use, our clients are happier, and Adobe can just concentrate on making great products and improving them regularly rather than making some big splashy marketing push every two years just to make it seem worth upgrading.... with no ongoing feedback they get with the frequent CC releases.  And of course this means they get to see more regular income rather than big swings up and down depending on if its a release month/year or not and all the uncertainty involved in that type of release schedule.   Sounds like a WIN-WIN-WIN situation to me.

As for the pricing, its cheaper than the Master Collection was (unless you don't update for about 4 years) plus provides access to more apps and features than the MC ever did. But if you're still using 4 year old software in the web industry in particular, I really feel sorry for you and your clients.  It's like the companies that force their employees to use IE6 in 2013. 

Basically, the web and basically all things digital arew advancing far too fast for Adobe to stick to the old slow method of updating software every 2 years.  By that time, whatever they had been working on over the 2 years could already be obsolete when it is released.

One of my favorite things about modern software and agile development is how fast updates and bug fixes come.  I open the App Store on my iPhone and there are always a bunch of apps waiting to be updated often with cool new features and bug fixes.   Adobe themselves realized they needed to either get with the times or be left behind.  And incidentally, the same applies to you and your business as well. 

And this might sound harsh but if you aren't making enough money to be able to afford $49 a month for ALL the tools you need to do pretty much ANY kind of creative work a client may ask for, it might be time for you to change to another line of work.  Heck, the guy who does yard work in my neighborhood spends more than that a month on his tools.  :-)

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:00 AM   in reply to Daryl Barnes

Was the idea of CC yours?? Seams your totaly infected of the adobe marketing gurus.

Where are the "cool" updates your talking about?
    I don´t find it very cool to find x-thousand updates in my smart-phone, everytime i go online.

waiting and installing and getting familar with new functions.

The changes of most software within a year are regularily not significant (espec. at adobe)

And bugfixes can be given over the update-tool. Theres no need for a cloud.

And there is the risk of too fast update cycles also. The big upgrades are mostly tested versions.

Maybe that will change in future (some other companies, sometimes add functions, that are ver buggy).

And by the way: For faster Upgrade-cycles a cloud-jail isn´t necessary. Can be done by an update-tool also.

OK. 99% of users will be online once in 180 days.

But if you are an journalist and travelling threw last corners of earth - maybe you´ll have hassles an have to pay telephone-charges.

And after all: I´m owning the master collection and updated all the years.

I want to own my software and wan´t to be shure, that I can open my files when I decide to chance my software-subscription.

Doesn´t matter if it´s more expensive.

And who will stop Adobe to make their subscriptions more expensive in the next years, when nobody can quit (without loosing the access to his files)?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:30 AM   in reply to MikeChambers

Will Adobe continue to update ACR when new cameras are made?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:39 AM   in reply to Daryl Barnes

Quote:

"and Adobe can just concentrate on making great products and improving them regularly rather than making some big splashy marketing push every two years just to make it seem worth upgrading...."

During the last 10 years Adobe software has improved very little. I can get most of my work done with CS3 without any problems. Most of the user requests fall on def ears. The most ridiculous thing is that AE still didn't get timeline folders. I don't know wheter to laugh or cry. Or maybe do neither and simply use Blender to replace AE. Adobe is switching to the forced money extraction strategy for one reason only: it hasn't been able to provide wanted enough features in it's software to make people actually WANT the upgrade. So now they are removing that problem by removing the need for people to want to upgrade. Sorry to say it wont work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:42 AM   in reply to Andy Bay

Completely agree.

Maybe the changed distribution model, because have to few "real" updates.

(And yes: Me to. Most of my work (98%) can also be done with CS3)

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to Mattrman

There is no confusion on my part. My desktop is not connected to the internet. So I cannot install or use the software. End of story. If it came on a disc I could install it and use it. I could download updates from the internet and sneakernet them to my desktop. You “defense” of this new model is poor at best. That is what we can expect from “fanboys”. Really though, the average casual user is priced out of this model. Maybe we only make up a small percent of users but Adobe WILL lose that small percent. I have a feeling though that the percent of casual users is higher than they admit. This idea is not fully back internally. Some people with a financial interest in profits are not happy. Google it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:55 AM   in reply to Mattrman

You got it all figured out don't you. All the answers fore everyone right Daryl: "And this might sound harsh but if you aren't making enough money to be able to afford $49 a month for ALL the tools you need to do pretty much ANY kind of creative work a client may ask for, it might be time for you to change to another line of work.  Heck, the guy who does yard work in my neighborhood spends more than that a month on his tools.  :-)"

I make $0 a month using this software. I use it on my own time off the clock for the benifit of the students. So yes it is a hard pill to swallow.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 7:29 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton wrote:

gtr wrote:

I only use Flash Pro. No way the minor updates to that application justify a yearly $240 rental fee!!

Don't forget you can carry on using your perpetual CS6 license. And if you don't have one, they're still available for sale. Then you can reconsider the options a few years down the line when CS6 no longer meets your needs.

I understand about supporting the developer. And would like to support the efforts to keep a particular piece of software alive and moving forward. But with CC, it feels like Adobe is exploiting the customer's reliance on their software ("holding them hostage", as some have put).

There's a principal involved, forcing people to pay for upgrades they may not need (once they're enrolled in CC). It's a bad business decision, plain and simple. One that has shaken my faith in Adobe to the core.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 7:57 AM   in reply to Daryl Barnes

@ Daryl Barnes:
    Ok, I get it. You are an Adobe Team member. So please stop writing this cr** and listen to us, the people.

We don't accept this. There is no advantage for the customer. Only for Adobe who will generate a lot more money.

I don't always want the latest version of my apps. I want to decide when to update. Sometimes I do it some years later. Because I am used to my version, because I feel comfortable in it and am used to every button.

I and most other people in all agencies I've worked in so far experience new Adobe software as stress. They like "their" versions and clearly don't want to be forced into a new workspace only because Adobe decides it's time for a new Photoshop.

So, dude, go back to your Adobe bosses and tell them the crowd is not amused and Adobe will go down it it skrews the whole industry.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton wrote:

gtr wrote:

Don't forget you can carry on using your perpetual CS6 license. And if you don't have one, they're still available for sale.

will Adobe fix AVCHD bug? Premiere in CS6 just doesn't work as it is supposed to be... and Adobe already took our money for it and it just doesn't work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to MikeChambers

MIke,

I am also a long time user of many Adobe products (but not all) and I have purchased (and kept current) the Production Premium Creative Suite. I am currently a CC subscriber and I plan to continue. Until I retire on July 31, 2014. And then I'll need to re-evaluate my membership. I am not a porfessional photographer and make no money from what I do. But I do enjoy all aspects of  my photography and use Lightroom and Photoshop extensively (and Premiere to a lessor extent). Once I am on a "fixed income" I'm not sure how realistic it may be to spend the monthly subscription dollars.

I would hope that Adobe takes these situations into account. Perhaps one solution would to allow a person such as myself a way to keep the software functional instead of shutting it off. After all,  when I receive a magizine for a given month, I can still read it after my subscription expires. No comes along and takes all my back copies!

Perhaps I can submit my IRS 1040 to show my income sources.

For consideration:

1. A Creative Cloud "Production Premium" option at a reduced price from the full suite.
    2. A "buy-out" where my current software would stay alive (and I would not recieve updates).
    3. Include retirees in the Student/teacher bucket.
    4. Create another "Senior / Retiree" catagory (subject to some type of proof documentation)

LpGrumpy

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to adroewer37

I agree.

And: I often keep older versions of Applications (So at the moment I use photoshop V3, V4, V5, V6 all on the same mashine) because they are kompatibel to older scanners, older plugins, and, and, and...

With this ridiculous CC - I can´t. Surely causes incompatibilities.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:44 AM   in reply to BlueThird

You can find information on camera raw support in this blog post:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/adobe-camera-raw-8-sup port-for-photoshop-cc-and-photoshop-cs6.html

--

Because Adobe is still selling Photoshop CS6, those customers will continue to receive updated camera raw file format compatibility via Adobe Camera Raw 8.

--

Hope that helps...

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to i-go-above-and-beyond

If you make no money and can't afford the subscription, how do you afford the £1800 to begin with?  This is the first time I've been able to afford my software comfortably, this is a much better option for people who only use the software casually.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 ... 41 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points