Skip navigation
UncleDaz
Currently Being Moderated

Large cs3 document won't open in cs6

May 7, 2013 1:22 AM

Tags: #cs3 #crash #cs6

Good morning,

I have a 1.3gb catalogue that was created in InDesign cs3. I have now got cs6 and have tried to open the file but it keeps freezing on "converting data".

On the odd occasion it crashes the pc almost instantly, on others it just seems to freeze or be making small progress for hours before eventually crashing the pc.

The current scenario has the document being opened for 8hrs and it is about 30% along the progress bar.

Is there anyway that I can improve the performance of this conversion?

I am working on a windows pc with vista 64bit (which works with other documents fine), running with 6gb ram.

Look forward to any advice.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2013 1:33 AM   in reply to UncleDaz

Why is it 1.3gb? Did you embed the images into the file?

I'd open the file in InDesign CS3 and unembed all the images and create a folder that they are linked to - you'll be prompted by the dialog box.

Then I'd export the CS3 document to an .inx file using File>Export and choose .inx

Open the .inx file in Indesign Cs6 and if prompted relink the images to the folder you created.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 3:23 AM   in reply to UncleDaz

The only way I know of to reduce the file size is to use File>export and choose .IDML from the file options.

The end user would need to open the file - and it will open as an Untitled document.

Regarding the images - hard to know why that would be happening - but the IDML route might clear that up too.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 4:56 AM   in reply to UncleDaz

The ONLY way an ID file is likely to grow to that sort of size, without actually being corrupt, is if the images are embedded or it has LOTS of complex vector content.  Your best hope for this file really is the export to .inx from CS3, if it will still open there. I would be willing to bet that even if the .indd file eventually opens in CS6 it will either already be corrupt, or it will become corrupt in short order.  As a matter of safety, if you get the .inx, when you open that in CS6 save as a new .indd file with a new name, DON'T overwrite the CS3 version. You should also expect that your text will flow differently in CS6 than it did in CS3, so there may be some oversets or differences in where things are on pages.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 5:31 AM   in reply to UncleDaz

I have experience this IF the fonts the file requires are not open.  i.e. your CS3 file requires Bodini Bold lets say.  You don't happen to have that font open when you try to open the CS3 file in CS6.  CS6 crashes.  BUT if all the fonts are open AND all the links are available and you try to open the CS3 file in CS6 it should open no problem. 

You may be experiencing a different problem but that is just my two cents worth and an observation I have made.

Randy

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 7:41 AM   in reply to UncleDaz

If the Student/Teacher license was only installed on 1 computer then there should be another license for it to be installed on another. You can install the software on 2 computers - as long as they don't run the program at the same time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points