Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Costs of CC Photoshop

May 7, 2013 5:10 AM

Tags: #creative_cloud #cs-6

Only a few months ago I paid 200 for Cs6. I am tiold I can get the cc version for 9.99/moth for a year and 19.99/month after that. How does $560 make any sense over a period of a little over two years. Its a doubling in the price of the product. Have I got this wrong or is there another deal I do not know about?

Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2013 5:16 AM   in reply to VR*

Not sure how you got Cs6 for 200, thats definitely not the normal price. I bought mine around xmas time and it was 500.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 5:28 AM   in reply to VR*

Your math is still wrong, It works out to 360 for 2 years with the first year discount. Or 480 without the discount.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 5:48 AM   in reply to Dragoro21

VR* was including the price of his CS6 upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 5:54 AM   in reply to James_233

Ah, was trying to figure out where that number came from lol

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:23 AM   in reply to Dragoro21

I purchased CS6 upgrade for $199 from Adobe when it was first available.  If Photoshop in the futrue is only availalbe as a Creative Cloud version for $19.99 per month that's a 2.4X increase in the cost compared to $199 upgrade price every 2 years.  I use ACR in Bridge to process RAW NEF files and do very little in Photoshop other than run an Action to process all the RAW files, generate panoramas, and some printing.  I consider a 2.4X increase in price unacceptable so I will continue using CS6 until I need to make a change, but it will not be to an Adobe product.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:53 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

I think the move to this type of continuous cloud model was inevitable. The previous model of having a dozen individual product teams “reinventing” their app for a new release every 18 months was unsustainable.  I think the move to this cloud model will allow product teams to focus on actually making their software better, and not be forced into some deadline implementing some new feature that will make it a “must have” upgrade. And Adobe will certainly benefit; a continuous and predictable income flow, and I would imagine it is much harder to pirate a cloud subscription (although I could be wrong). So, this could be a win-win, except for…. the pricing.

I’m not sure where Adobe got the formula, but the pricing of CC subscription seems high to me.  Look at a 10-year period (assume costs stay the same) for a hypothetical new customer purchasing CS6 Design and Web premium ($1900) and upgrading every 18 months ($375). A decade will set a user back $3775.  A CC Suite subscription for a new customer is $50/mo. Ten years subscribing comes out to $6000.

So previous model, updated regularly = $3775 for 10 years.

New Cloud subscription = $6000 for same period.

Math is not my strong suit, so maybe I’m running these numbers wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 7:04 AM   in reply to b2martin_a

The upgrade cycle was more like 1.5 years, and the version of PS you get with CC is Extended—no more Standard.  Of course the $20/month for Extended when I only ever need Standard is my problem with the situation as well, as an occasional PS user like you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 7:46 AM   in reply to charles badland

> I think the move to this cloud model will allow product teams to focus on actually making

> their software better, and not be forced into some deadline implementing some new feature

> that will make it a “must have” upgrade.

Or, it could have the opposite effect. Before, they needed to offer enough compelling new features to entice people to upgrade.

With a locked-in user base, all they need to do is... well... not much of anything.

If I was cynical () I would say that's the reason they're going this route.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to Greg Bohn

Not much of anything.

...except lots of dosh from users

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:16 AM   in reply to James_233

Personally , the new model works for me.

I suspect I am not alone either.  Without the subscription base, I would probably be using picasa.  That doesn't even consider the fact that I now have lightroom and use it often.  That's a LOT of manual DAM I don't have to do now.

I can add more.  Dreamweaver and Muse, so , Yup , I'm liking this model, I get a lot more toys I wouldn't have considered ( use "toys" with a grain of salt folks, it's not to offend ).

Y'all Make a Mess

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to Stumbl

> Personally , the new model works for me.

And it used to work for you as well before the latest change.

My complaint is that it used to work for everyone. Then Adobe threw 'small time' users under the bus by removing the remaining permanent license option.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to Greg Bohn

And it used to work for you as well before the latest change.

Indeed, It did , so I agree, different situations, which is why I qualified it with "Personally"

All that being said, I DO hope they can work something out with users like yourself.  I just doubt that it will happen.

For the most part, it's people who are upset that are loudest ( this ain't a bad thing, so if it sounded like that , realize that I am not knockin' on it )  Most users will continue using it however, and I do believe , based on so personal conversations with friends, that more users will be the result.

*grin*  the vicodin is stronger than usual today ( tongue in cheek ) so don't expect coherence.

Greg, again, I DO hope adjustments can be made so it works out for you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to Greg Bohn

I think the CC model could use an option between the "whole kit-and-kaboodle" and individual apps. Like a suite of AI, PS, InD, Bridge and Acrobat for $34.99 ($24.99 for existing CS3+ customers first year)

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to VR*

They probably won't need all those extra developers now.....I smell layoffs

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 9:49 AM   in reply to VR*

VR* wrote:

I began this with a question. I am hoping that Adobe does something like forgive the first year for all owners of CS6, or those who bought in the last six months and a price break in down years to those who have been long time upgraders of Photoshop and CS. 

Adobe give a price break for CS3 and up for $10/month for first year CC version.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points