Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Old school from before Premiere Pro days

May 7, 2013 9:46 AM

I want to using Adobe Premiere Elements 11, hopefully, on my 2012 Mac Mini. 2.3GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 16GB ram.  My  DV Camcorder is an old Canon ZR30, 400 firewire, still works just fine.  After reading many of the questions/answerers on this forum, and coming in contact with abbreviations and terms ie. AVCHD, 1080i and 1080p, .mts  to which I am unfamiliar, are there any pitfall I'm bound to encounter using my ZR30?

I'm still using the very old Adobe Premiere (before pro) of which I'm very familar;  I'm wondering if PE/11 is similar to AP? 

Does PE/11 offer the use of a green screen effect?

Any help would greatly appreciated,

Patt

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to Patt/Trish

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to Patt/Trish

>However, do you know if it will still be possibleto import from my old DV camcorder Canon

All versions of Premiere... Elements and Pro... work to capture video from a tape camera via Firewire

I am Windows, so can't comment on any potential problems with PE11 and your Mac and Apple OS version

As I said... try the 30 day demo... if you buy after doing any REAL work, read below

Remove Watermark http://forums.adobe.com/thread/433730?tstart=30

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to Patt/Trish

Patt,

Premiere Elements Windows and Mac essentially have similar features, but there are those differences where Mac seems to fall on the short end of it.

As for keying effects, Premiere Elements 11 Mac does not have Green Screen Key nor Blue Screen Key. I believe it does offer Videomerge. And, I have written about how to substitute the Difference Matte under Keying for the Green Screen Key. Details to be supplied on request. Chroma Key is also a Windows Only Effect in Premiere Elements 11 Mac.

Have you always been a Mac user? Or, has your video editing experiences, including DV capture firewire been on some version of Windows? As far as this Windows only user knows, DV data capture firewire with Mac gives a .mov wrapper for the data captured/the Premiere Elements 11 Mac Timeline, not the .avi wrapper for the DV data capture firewire Windows/Premiere Elements 11 Windows Timeline.

I would suggest, if you have not done so already, to download and install the free 30 day try out of Premiere Elements 11 Mac and see how it fits into your computer environment and project goals.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 7:43 AM   in reply to Patt/Trish

Patt

Sometime today I will post the link to my details on using the Premiere Elements 11 Difference Matte under Keying as a substitute for the Green Screen Key which is not included in Premiere Elements 11 Mac. From what I have read, the Videomerge feature which is not a Windows Only feature seems to be suggested by some to the Premiere Elements 11 Mac users as a possible replacement for the Green Screen Key.

Also, if you want a very comprehensive view of Premiere Elements 11, please check out my write up on that at a forum that I no longer visit nor answer questions. It is a very long thread, but packed with essentially everything.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73757

The Premiere Elements 11 interface is a marked change from prior versions. But, the principles remain the same even if features are added, relocated, upgraded, or gone. Often I find it challenging to be armed with principles when I cannot find a feature.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to Patt/Trish

Patt

I have just posted the suggested how to for using the Difference Matte as a substitute for the Green and Blue Screen Keys that are absent in the Premiere Elements 11 Mac.

Because of the length of the write up and the screenshots, I have posted it to my blog that I recently created. (Never thought that I would become a blog person, but...)

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/

Hope that you find the How To and its comments interesting and most of all that it works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 8:11 AM   in reply to Patt/Trish

One of the issues that Adobe has struggled with, and for some years now, is exactly how Mac's display Video. There are some "features and functions" in Premiere (both PrPro and PrE), that are simple on a PC, but virtually impossible on a Mac. This means that some Effects, for instance, appear on a PC, but not on a Mac. Going back to about PrPro CS 4, Todd Kopriva, and Adobe Engineer, commented on some of the "whys," but as I am a PC-only guy, much went over my head. Still, the upshot was that the PC version(s) of Premiere contained things that were missing on the Mac. This is an old list of the differences (PrPro) between the programs based on platform: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/460313?tstart=1470

As ATR points out, there are some differences between the Effects offered in PrE for the PC and for the Mac.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points