Skip navigation
Art(sic)
Currently Being Moderated

I want to delete all transparent pixels, how can I? CS6

May 7, 2013 10:05 AM

Tags: #photoshop #crop #cs6 #trim

I would like to delete all transparent pixels surrounding my irregularly (non-square) image.  The TRIM function only trims to a square surrounding my image and not to the edge of the image itself.  Is there a work around for this?  I have looked around and haven't found one. 

Thanks,

JB

Replies
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 7, 2013 12:08 PM   in reply to Art(sic)

Image have rectangular area they have a width and height boundaries as do layer.  Not all of the rectangular area need to have content or be fully opaque,  However the image boundary is a rectangle.  Some file formats are like a Photoshop Background layer do not support empty area or even transparency so those file formats only contain image that are rectangles and have no transparency. Some file formats support transparency and empty areas so those images can be any shape and contain transparency still the image boundary is rectangular. Then there is the GIF file format an oddball format. It only supports 256 Colors. Pixels are mapped to one of the 256 colors selected for the image.  If you want Transparency in a gif  the number of colors is reduced by 1 to 255  the 256 color now indicate no content its not real transparency it just a no color pixel in other words off or no content.

So if you have areas that are 100% transparent there is nothing to delete the area is empty.  If you have pixels that contain some transparency and you delete those pixels you delete details are you sure you want to delete all pixels that contain transparency? You will loose things like drop shadows

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to Art(sic)

Image pixels are square so you won't be able delete the "transparent pixels" up to the edge of a non square image.

What you can do is save the image in a format that supports transparency such as png, tiff or psd.

Do you have a specific use for the image in mind?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,979 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    May 7, 2013 3:15 PM   in reply to Art(sic)

In that case create both button in a single image file that you slice it up.  I do not do web pages but know the many a navigation bar has been built using slices. However I do not know how irregular you can get without upsetting your system. Since slices are images their bounds will be rectangles. I know little about HTML mouse overs however all I have ever seen in html for images has been width height frame and alignment never seen anything having to do with shape.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points