Which disk out of 2 should I use?

May 7, 2013 10:17 AM

Tags: #scratch #scratch_disks

Hello

Thanks for PS C6, and for ACC.

I have:

Intel 520 Cherry Ville 120GB SSD Drive

2TB SATA Hard Drive

#1 is for booting up and OS, #2 for files. Which one should I use for Scratch Disks?

Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to Dthi89

The 120gb drive is too small to use.  Will have to use other.  Hope it is internal.

Can expect to use 50 to 150 gb for scratch, depending on how big of files, layers, effects, etc.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 10:50 AM   in reply to Dthi89

Yes, also put the Bridge cache on SATA also.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to Dthi89

How much RAM do you have?

You should consider getting a second internal SSD for use for Photoshop scratch.  Or, if you're willing to go through the system reconfiguration necessary, making a RAID 0 array of the two of them, then using the resultant larger array for everything (OS, applications, swap, scratch).

The performance of Photoshop, when it exceeds your RAM capacity and requires the use of lots of scratch space, is a good bit better when the scratch space is put on SSD storage.

I use a 4 drive SSD array for everything except very low access file storage and backup myself, so I have first hand experience on how well it works.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to Dthi89

Are you saying the 2T SATA HD is really a 2T SSD?  That would be impressive but would recheck that. 

If you have a large SSD there is no need to have seperate smaller SSD's.  Believe Noel was suggesting a second SSD for scratch disk and the large SATA for files. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 9:25 AM   in reply to Dthi89

You want to have a fast scratch disk, so that is why Noel suggested the SSD.  An internal is the next best option.  An external is a little slower so not as attractive.  Although the SATA3 and USB3 is almost as fast as an internal as I remember it.

THe downside of a spinning disk is that it has one read/write head.  So it can only do one task at a time.  If you are trying to write to scratch and read another program at the same time it slows things down.  That is why if you are a heavy user a dedicated scratch disk is recommended.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 9:26 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Should add with SSD since there are no write heads you do not have the seek problem.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to Dthi89

Seek problem is technical term for the head.  It has to seek a location to read or write so this takes time as a physical movement.  Just like a phonograph arm playing a record.

With a SSD is is eletronic read write with flash memory, hence no seek time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 1:09 PM   in reply to Dthi89

Dthi89 wrote:

Hi, again

Sorry, there seems to be some confusion, my fault/making.

16GB RAM

120GB SSD

2TB HDD

Given this, which Drive should I use for scratch?

Should I invest in a extra SSD drive and dedicate it to scratch (be it internal or SATA3 USB3 external)?

With your current setup there is only one option, the 2T HDD.  120g SSD is too small for programs an scratch.  RAM to small.  Need at least 50 g of scratch.

Up to you if you want to buy another 120g SSD or another drive for scratch.  Not necessary in my opinion unless you are really a high end user.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 5:36 PM   in reply to Dthi89

With 16 GB of RAM and typical file size of 100MB I don't think you need scratch that often.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 5:50 PM   in reply to Dthi89

From what I have seen in posts 50 gigs of scratch will work, but you are pushing it with larger images.  It all depends on how many history states, how many layers, how many effects you use.  Some posts I have seen the scratch needs zooms up near 200 gigs for one image.  Remember if you use a filter on a 100 m file now the file is 200 meg and so on.

I am getting the idea you are needlesly worrying about it.  Use the SATA and if it whirrs a lot doing its thing while you wait, then get another SSD.

If all the programs on the C drive take up less than 50 gig you can use the SSD.  Normally you want 10-20% free space on a spinning hard drive, but no one has said if the same applies to a SSD, so will assume it does.  With a 120 g SSD you sho only use about 100 gig.  Does not leave much room.  If you had purchased a 560g SSD you would be fine.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,459 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2013 10:05 PM   in reply to Dthi89

With 16 GB on tap you can generally raise your Photoshop RAM limit to 85% or 90%.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points