Skip navigation
KennethC49
Currently Being Moderated

Import different photos with same filename

May 7, 2013 11:12 AM

I just installed Photoshop Elements 11 and want to use the PSE 11 Organizer to manage my photos.  I currently have about 45,000 photos on my harddrive organized in folders.  The filenames of the photos in these folders are whatever the default naming convention is for my camera - IMG_00001.jpg etc.  So you can imagine that the possibility of having the same filename for different photos is quite high.

My problem is that when I want to import all these photos into PSE 11 I get an error saying there are duplicate photos and the duplicates are not being imported.  I have a lot of these conflicts and I can't seem to find any option to allow the files to be imported.  Are there any workarounds to this issue that don't involve manually renaming all the conflicting files?  What are my options here?

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    May 7, 2013 11:29 AM   in reply to KennethC49

PSE will normally recognize the differing camera exif data so it can’t simply be a question of the same file name. Are some genuine duplicates or have they been created by another device e.g. a scanner? If so you may need to separate them into new folders or sub folders.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    May 7, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to KennethC49

Sorry I don’t know of a work around other than batch renaming on a folder by folder basis which you can do from Expert Mode in the Editor application using.

File >> Process Multiple Files

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points