Skip navigation
gaffer459
Currently Being Moderated

tags

May 7, 2013 11:34 AM

I have imported a catalogue into a new catalogue using PS8.  Thes tags have all been imported as a straight list without any of my categories under 'Imported Tags'.  I need the categories.  What did I do wrong?

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2013 11:38 AM   in reply to gaffer459

Are you now using another version of PSE?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2013 4:16 PM   in reply to gaffer459

You can't import a catalog into a new catalog.

What you did wrong was you imported the photos into a new catalog, this is the cause of the symptoms you have observed.

If you want your categories, you need to find the previous PSE catalog somewhere on one of your hard disks, and make use of that. We can tell you exactly how to do this if you give us much more detail about what you are trying to do.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to gaffer459

Importing photos will not preserve your categories and keywords in their hierarchical order. Emphasis on "will not".

To make this work, you would have to transfer the catalog file from your computer to other people's computers, along with any new photos. For this to work, the photos must be in the exact same folders on each computer. If this is a Windows computer, and your photos are in the folder D:\Photos, then they must be in D:\Photos on every other computer as well. Your hierarchical categories and keywords are preserved.

Another possibility is to use the PSE function File->Backup Catalog on the main computer, have the backup on a portable drive, and then bring the portable drive to other computers and select File->Restore Catalog. Your hierarchical categories and keywords are preserved. In this case, the photos and catalog file be restored anywhere on any computer; however each time you do this you will get a complete set of photos restored and a new catalog file; so you would have to be extremely diligent in removing old versions of the catalog and old versions of the photos.

As you can see, PSE was not meant as a multi-user application, there are drawbacks and a lot of effort involved to make PSE into "kind of sort of" a multi-user application. I think you might want to look into applications that were designed to be multi-user, such as DAMinion. I have not used this software so I am not recommending it; I only point out that it appears to fit your needs better than PSE.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points