Skip navigation
Tbanger9
Currently Being Moderated

BASIC set up choices...

May 7, 2013 6:44 PM

Hi, I'm looking for the most BASIC of instructions on set up..... I think I know the answer and there seems to be posts 'about' this but I want clarity.

I have iPhoto '11 and PSE 10. I want a way to organize my photo's within iPhoto. The main reason I like iPhoto is the way it integrates into mail and other Mac programs... I realize people hate it, and, I agree... it's hardly ideal. However.... I tried importing from iPhoto as was available in the PSE menu and seemed the most logical and simple way to go.

I was horrified to learn that in fact, PSE had created another 20GB folder on my hard drive with all the photo's on it.... I don't want 2 copies of the photo's. I want a well organized iPhoto Library...

I've searched around these forums and help files, but I can't seem to get a direct answer or explanation of this. It's so frustrating and annoying that a basic set up feature does not seem clear. In preferences there is a parameter under Preferences> Files> Saved Files> with a Browse button able to point to a nominated folder..... I was under the impression I could make this the iPhoto library??... but it's not available...

It doesn't seem that I can do what I want to do in the way I want to do it.... but perhaps my logic is wrong... I thought having the word 'organizer' in the PSE would solve problems, no cause duplicate files... 2 sets of photo's is not a solution.

I'm guessing I need to import into PSE and delete the iPhoto library?.... but can I still use iPhoto then?

I'm really confused..... I've deleted all of the photo's from PSE by selecting all and deleting... then I've made sure the Adobe folder 'Organizer' is empty.... but I can still see photos??......

So it IS seeing my iPhoto Library?.... will any changes I make affect iPhoto?.....

MacBook Pro - Mountain Lion

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 7, 2013 8:06 PM   in reply to Tbanger9

Well, the main question is do you want to use iphoto to organize your photos or organizer? You must choose, sooner or later. If you want to use iphoto, don't use organizer and vice versa, or you'll just make yourself crazy.

NEVER, never, never try to poke around in the iphoto library from outside iphoto. That is the fastest way to corrupt it and lose all your photos, which is why PSE doesn't make it available via File>Open.

If you want to keep organizing your photos with iphoto you have two options:

1. Set PSE as the external editor for iphoto in the iphoto preferences. When you edit your photos in PSE, don't change either the name or the format (you may need to set the editor preferences>on first save to save over existing file) and iphoto will remember your original plus the most recent set of edits. However, this doesn't work quite like versions in the organizer. To get back to the original you must revert and lose the edited version.

2. Export a copy of the photos from iphoto, edit those copies via File>Open in the editor, make all the changes you like, and reimport the edited copies to iphoto as new files. This lets you save as many different states and versions of your edits as you like.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:06 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Oh, and no, deleting photos will not clear them from organizer, it just disconnects them. Just delete the catalog (which is just a database of the images) or ignore it if you want to use iphoto instead.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 3:20 AM   in reply to Tbanger9

Personally, I dislike all assset management software such as organizer, iphoto, lightroom, aperture. I prefer a simple browser like bridge.

If you think you want to use organizer, I would export a few images and make a new catalog, then try using just organizer (not iphoto) for a while to see what you think. There are advantages and disadvantages to any program. You just have to find the one that works best for you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points